1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

WiFi request times out after ~5 mins

I have this weird problem with my WiFi router. It stops working after a while. I have to switch it off and switch it back on to get it working temporarily.
    Code:
    ping 192.168.0.1
    64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=10928 ttl=64 time=3.592 ms
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 10929
    For some reason, it just times out like 5 min later. When I power it off and back on again, it works (reply).
    Is my WiFi router dying ?
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by anjanesh
    I have this weird problem with my WiFi router. It stops working after a while. I have to switch it off and switch it back on to get it working temporarily.
    Code:
    ping 192.168.0.1
    64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=10928 ttl=64 time=3.592 ms
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 10929
    For some reason, it just times out like 5 min later. When I power it off and back on again, it works (reply).
    Is my WiFi router dying ?
    Are you using wireless when it goes out? If so, then try directly connecting it to see if you have the same issue.

Otherwise:
    I just recently (within the last 2 months) had a problem where my internet kept going down. I considered a new router, talked to tech support for my ISP, tried so many variables. Finally, I realized that 1 computer on my network was causing problems. (Haven't figured out the issue yet, but whenever it was connected, the internet would work for a little bit, then would cause all network activity to stop.)

So basically, here are some things you can try:
    - If you have more than this one device plugged into the router, disconnect everything except for this device. Then restart the modem and/or router.
    - You can try a new router to see if that helps.
    - You can talk to your ISP. They may be able to set up monitoring on your account to determine if there is any rhyme or reason to it disconnecting. (Possible area outages, bad lines, etc)
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is it only the wifi that stops working ? If you connect to the router via an ethernet cable, does it work ok ?

If it's only the wifi that's not working then check that you don't have any cordless phones near your router and if you have, consider moving one of them. Or, try changing the channel on the router.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My Mac was timing out, my mobile was showing WiFi error and my Ubuntu machine is not even showing the list of the WiFi devices. This was a sure problem with the router which I replaced with a brand new one after which everything started functioning normally.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo