1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My laptop randomly shuts down and i dont know why.

I have an HP ZE5375 laptop that randomly shuts down at various times. The power light is on but the screen goes black. Sometimes it goes completly black and sometimes i can barely see it (it is about 99% dark on the screen). I am pretty sure it is a hardware problem because we had a power flash and i did not have a surge protector to protect it(i was at a relatives house visiting at the time). Sometimes it goes black less than 2 seconds after i start the comp up, sometimes it can stay on for 8 plus hours. I am just wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this. I just want to know what i might need to replace or what i need to do to help get my laptop the way it was before. Thanks for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture

forgive me but ... its not just going to sleep is it? (I'm not sure what level of user you are ... no offense)

and if thats not the case ... I would check the connection to the LCD. I don't know that model specifically however there should be a little ribbon cable that will run from the body of your laptop to the LCD. If your machine is still on warrenty then let them handle it cause laptops are kinda tricky to put back together. But if not then carefully take the screwes out that you need to to remove the top plate that surrounds the keyboard (usually from the bottom if any ... it may not have screws for the top plate and may just snap together). Once that is off you should be able to identify the connection to the LCD ... check to make sure that all is in tackt here ... unplug and plug the connection back in. ... then before re-assembling the machine give it a test run ...

Hopefully your problem is as simple as that

Good luck ... hope this helps
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, i will try that. Unfortunatly it is not under warranty anymore. I will post if it works after i try it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo