Thread: RAM issues

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

RAM issues

Recently i brought a new stick off 512 DDR Ram to add to my pc, i put the RAM into the motherboard, a gigabyte GA-7DXE. I'm running with XP home, SP1 and an AMD Athalon 1600xp. I've noticed that my pc is starting to run really slow, especially when i have both dreamweaver and flash running together, i still have about 10gb free on my hd tho.

I wasnt too sure if my new RAM was working or not, when i check system properties it says i have 768mb of RAM which is right, the 512 stick and a previous 256 stick. Howver, i downloaded a program called fresh diagnose to check on my system, in its report it says in part of the memory section:

Memory Module
    Socket Designation BANK_1
    Bank Connections RAS 0, RAS 35
    Current Speed 10 ns
    Current Memory Type
    Installed Size 256 MB
    Enabled Size 256 MB
    Correctable Error Exists No
    Uncorrectable Error Exists No

Memory Module
    Socket Designation BANK_2
    Bank Connections RAS 0, RAS 69
    Current Speed 10 ns
    Current Memory Type
    Installed Size Not Installed
    Enabled Size Not Installed
    Correctable Error Exists No
    Uncorrectable Error Exists No
    It seems from this that Bank_2, which i presume to be the second slot where my 512 stick should be, is not working. If this is the case does anyone know what i can do to resolve this or at least how i confirm either way whether the RAM is being used or not.

If the RAM is working and its just a problem with the fresh diagnose program does anyone have any other advice as to how i could speed up my pc, by overclocking my cpu for example. i dont know anything about this so any advice would be much appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

When buying a second stick of RAM it is a good idea to try and keep to the same name brand and MHz ... If the RAMs are of different speed they will fall to the speed of the slowest most likely. Try not to mix and match otherwise problems like the one your experiencing may occur or not work at all.

You should try just the stick of 512 in your machine and run the same tests. If it works then maybe try the sticks in different dimm slots. If you have 3 slots and you are getting the problem on bank two then stick it in bank three.

give this a shot and let me know how it goes

Hope this helped
  5. No Profile Picture

try to only install the new 512MB RAM in the first slot

If this works fine then install the old 256MB RAM in the second slot...

some times RAM stick can have some problems in some slots configurations

and like what Packetloss777 said... When buying second add-on RAM it's better to be same spec. like size and speed and timing and also manufacture.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo