1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

external hard drive locks up system

Hi,
    I have a Dell 4600 with Windows XP Home edition, a 60GB master hard drive and 160GB slave. I am trying to add a 200GB external hard drive connected via USB 2.0, but the 3 different hard drive brands I have tried are all resulting in my computer to hang. This can happen after a minute, 5 minutes or 5 hours.

When I turn off my hard drive it unlocks my computer, but because my network hangs as well I lose i.e. my postion in the queue with WINMX.

Any idea what is causing this problem.

Thanks in advance, AJAX
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ajax,

If the problem can be duplicated on another machine, I'd suspect the external case.

If the problem does not occur on another machine, I'd say a bad driver or driver conflict. Might help to nuke the drive and reinstall the OS. If you do reinstall, load all your hardware drivers first. Then test for the failure again before loading any other software. Test for the failure after each installation of hardware or software. If the failure occurs again, you can suspect the software or hardware that was just installed to be in conflict with the external drive.

data4t
    http://www.howtorecoverdata.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo