1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Maxtor Adapter Card not seen by W2K Boot Repair

W2K does not see Maxtor Adapter Card
    My Win2000 Pro failed to startup and a blue screen reported that there was a file missing: system root/system32/config/software
    I have a 200 Gig Maxtor Hard Drive on a Maxtor Ultra ATA PCI Adapter Card, the drive is too big to work when connected directly to the mainboard. When I tried to boot from my W2K CD or the 4 Floppy boot discs I have, to make repairs -- the boot progran could not see the hard drive. I think this is because the drivers for the Maxtor Ultra ATA PCI Adapter Card are not loaded by the W2K repair program - (the BIOS does detect the Maxtor card and 200 Gig drive at start up.) I installed W2K on another hard drive and attached it to the card with the 200 Gig drive. The new copy started fine and I could access the 200 Gig drive as a slave drive after I loaded the Maxtor Ultra ATA PCI Adapter Card drivers. Can any one tell me how to run the W2K boot / repair program and get it to see the 200 Gig drive? Or is there any way to repair the W2K on the 200 Gig drive by accessing it from the other drive. If you can help please email me. Thank You Val valdi@bellsouth.net
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It's been a while since I've run the repair routine in Win2K. If I'm not mistaken, during the boot process (from CD) there should be a little message at the bottom of the screen to "Press F6" to install 3rd party drivers. You'll need the drivers on floppy of course. Once the drivers are loaded this way the card and drive will be recognized.

data4t
    http://www.howtorecoverdata.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo