Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

my computer has power but monitor is blacked out

i have a pc that when you plug it in it has power, however, when you hook it up to the monitor it is not booting up.. i have went threw and made sure that my connections were all pluged in. I know that the monitor is good. it is my daughters and she plays it all the time. anyone have any ideas?
  3. Contributing User

i am sure someone would be more then happy to try and help you out with this problem, but you need to supply a bit more info. did the computer ever work? did you add anything new? what kind of computer is this. anything you can think of to tell us about the hardware, make model of the computer/motherboard.
    She showed me her software so i pulled out my python.
  5. No Profile Picture

i bought the computer brand new in 1999. I used the computer everyday. It did work well. The only thing that was added was memory. The model number of the computer is HP pavilion 6630. any ideas? Thank you everyone that can and will help with this issue.
  7. cheers to new beginnings

Did you try to reset cmos. * If your mother board has an jumper for cmos on it *.
  9. Contributing User

the memory is probably the problem, . it is a pc100 board, if you added pc133 that is not pc100/133 compatible it can cause this, try taking out that new stick of ram and see if you boot up. also on the hp site each memory bank only supports up to 128 meg strips. if you added a 256......
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/documen...8&cat=prodinfo
    She showed me her software so i pulled out my python.
  11. No Profile Picture

no i added the memory and it worked after that and i used it for a year with that memory in it. so i don't think that is it... any other ideas?
  13. No Profile Picture

i can't see anything to go and reset. when you hook the computer up like normal it comes on and from there it is like it don't even reconize the monitor. it is an hp 6630. i added memory but used it since then and it worked fine. i have went to hp web site and looked over everything and can't get anywhere.
  15. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You reset cmos physically, either with a jumper or by removing the cmos battery on the motherboard for a few minutes.

What changed between then and now? Did you install anything? (Including software). Does the monitor not turn on at all, or does it say "No signal"? Or did you mean that the computer itself won't boot up when the monitor is connected (which would be strange).

I also merged your two threads, and moved it to the "General Hardware" forum, since it isn't really a problem with the mobo (most likely). Please don't post the same question twice.
    Last edited by karsh44; February 13th, 2004 at 09:09 AM.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  17. No Profile Picture

sorry i didn't realize that i posted 2 of them.. and i will try the cmos and let you know for sure.. thanks.
  19. No Profile Picture

Question

i took out the cmos bat. and booted it up and nothing.
    I have come to realize that the pc is not even recognizing the keyboard, or monitor. any ideas??
  21. Just another guy

Originally Posted by robtiff4
    i took out the cmos bat. and booted it up and nothing.
    I have come to realize that the pc is not even recognizing the keyboard, or monitor. any ideas??
    You put the cmos battery back in, right? Did the computer recognise the keyboard before, or couldn't you tell w/o the monitor. What graphics card do you have, or is it integrated on the mobo? You didn't answer my previous question either: does the monitor not turn on, or does it come on with the "no signal" message? You have tested the monitor on another computer to back up your assertion that "the monitor is good"?
    --Dave--

23. No Profile Picture

yes, the monitor is good. Yes, i put the battery back in as well. I am not sure about the graphics card. The computer is hp pavilion 6630 if you would like to look that up. After, I took the cmos battery out and put it back in i hooked it up to the monitor, keyboard, and mouse and it is like the computer dont even recogize any of it. I use to use this computer for my everyday use. And one day when i went to power it up it didn't. so i just put it in a corner. Yes, it did work, any more ideas???

p.s. sorry for not answering all of the questions..
  25. No Profile Picture

I have (what I think) is the same problem. One evening my daughter was on the computer connected to the internet. I came into the room and sat down at the computer to lookup something for her. When I sat down and tried to use it, it was frozen, mouse would not move, keyboard did not work, ctrl + alt + delete did nothing. I turned off the computer (by holding in the power switch). When I powered it back on the computer seemed to start booting up, but the self-test beep or whatever you call that (can't remember) does not sound and the monitor does not respond. Checked cables, even powered off the computer and restarted with a boot disk in the A: drive, but still the same, seems to be trying to boot up but nothing (no beep). Could this be a hard drive failure?

Compaq
    Purchased in 1998 (I believe)
    Win98SE (I believe)

Thanks in advance for any knowledge shared.

Kim
  27. No Profile Picture

Yes, it does sound like the same thing. nothing will respond with the pc... keyboard mouse speakers monitor and yes con alt del don't work either... any ideas anyone???
  29. Just another guy

Originally Posted by robtiff4
    Yes, it does sound like the same thing. nothing will respond with the pc... keyboard mouse speakers monitor and yes con alt del don't work either... any ideas anyone???
    if you have onboard video and audio (which i think you do), it could be that the mobo and/or cpu has died. Not much can be done about that. Both are old computers, have you looked at what $500 will buy these days? You could be pleasantly surprised.
    --Dave--

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo