1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Why is my computer burning up fans?

I have a 2 yr old Gateway with Celeron processor. After about 6 months of ownership, the fan burned out. I waited quiete a while to replace it, cause it has been working just fine. I replaced the fan 6 weeks ago and it stopped working again today. It will freeze up while running a music or game cd. Someone recommended I get a new power suppl. Thanks in advance for any advise.

gordo
    Last edited by gordo7485; February 14th, 2004 at 08:40 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I guess you mean the CPU fan? How can you wait quite a while to replace it? Did the fan burn out or did it just stop working and works after a reboot? How do you know the fan stops working? Give more information. Is it the system fan or the CPU fan? Is the fan running off the mobo or directly off the power supply? What kind of power supply do you have? how may watts? what else are you running in your PC? Is your PS adequate for what you're running? What kind of CPU do you have? Is it a constant speed fan or thermal controlled?

Originally Posted by gordo7485
    I have a 2 yr old Gateway with Celeron processor. After about 6 months of ownership, the fan burned out. I waited quiete a while to replace it, cause it has been working just fine. I replaced the fan 6 weeks ago and it stopped working again today. It will freeze up while running a music or game cd. Someone recommended I get a new power suppl. Thanks in advance for any advise.

gordo