1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

CD and DVD drive do not open

Hi,

The other day I got a computer which is four to five years old. This computer has a CD and a DVD drive. However when I press the open button of these neither one of them will open. They do not open from Windows (Eject option) either. I am sure they are connected and infect when I press the open button (or Eject from Windows) the drive does turn green.

Does anyone know what the drives may have? Is it something fixable (example driver problems)? or they are to throw away?

Regards,
    Sim085
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Could be some burning software locking the drive. See if something is locking the drive, would not hurt anything to replace the drivers.

It would be strange if both drives failed or both were jammed but you could try to manually get the drive open and see if something is crammed inside. Does it sound like it tries to open?

Comments on this post

• sim085 agrees : Thanks :)
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

They could both be jammed if someone picked up the computer and turned it on its side while discs were in the trays. Stick a paper clip in the little hole above the eject button, that should release the lock catch and allow you to open it manually and remove any disc that might be in there.

Comments on this post

• sim085 agrees : Thanks :)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by medialint
    Stick a paper clip in the little hole above the eject button, that should release the lock catch and allow you to open it manually and remove any disc that might be in there.
    Wouldn't that break the drive??
  9. Contributing User

No, that is what the hole is for.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I see lots of cd/dvd drives that don't open the tray, and every time it's been a drive mechanics problem. Sometimes the drive has been installed wrong putting pressure on the tray front. Usually since the computer I work on have been in a 'harsh' environment it's dirt in the gears.

Drives are cheap I don't try to fix them.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is there a disk in the drive? It is it DVD-(RW)? DVD-(RW) won't open automatically.

Try ejecting from the command line. run > cmd and type:
    Code:
    eject [drive]:
    If that doesn't work, turn off your base-unit open it up and check the IDE and power cable's are connected to the drive correctly, I'd recommend using anti-static gloves.

If none of the above worked take a flat-head screwdriver shove it in the gap between the tray and gently bend down until the drive opens (not recommend) this has worked for me in the past.

REGARDS
    Last edited by The_Coder; August 17th, 2010 at 06:46 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

First of all thanks to everyone for all the help

Originally Posted by medialint
    Stick a paper clip in the little hole above the eject button, that should release the lock catch and allow you to open it manually and remove any disc that might be in there.
    Ok, using this method I managed to open both the CD and DVD drive. There where no disks inside. The DVD drive still opens again when I press the open button. However the CD drive blocks again and I need to use the small hole infront to open it.

At work they told me that CD and DVD drives use some "special" oil/greasefor the gears. Is this right? and can I but this from anywhere to lengthen the life of these two drives.
  17. Contributing User

If the DVD works and the CD is giving you trouble then like Doug said, they are cheap ($20) just by a new drive. In fact, if you have a DVD drive do you even need a second CD drive at all?

Comments on this post

• sim085 agrees : Actually no. You are right :)
  19. No Profile Picture

May be help

I think that there should be some problem like virus infection. And if does not exist then you have to remove CD drive from PC and then open it again by screw driver and clean that. May be this will work.

Comments on this post

• AdamPI disagrees : No virus infection would prevent the physical button from working.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is not a big problem. Just open one of the panel of your CPU and check the data cable as well as SMPS supply given to the CD ROM. Check if they are properly inserted into their socket or not. If they are not then insert it properly and restart your machine. If it doesn't works then observe your CD-ROM you will see a small hole insert a needle in it and panel will come out.

Comments on this post

• jzd disagrees : Please read other's responses before posting the same thing.
  23. No Profile Picture

There should be a pin size hole on the front of DVD, take a paper clip and push it in the hole, it will eject your DVD drive.

Comments on this post

• MrFujin disagrees : Don't post what have already been told and tried out
  25. No Profile Picture

I have faced the same problem last month.
    Than I got changed CD Drive's belt.
    Now it's working fine.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo