1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hard drive speed comparison

Hi all, I'm planning to buy a new PC from DELL, a Studio XPS 9100. It comes with this hard drive;

1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

I don't know which brand it is, but I have the tech specs.

I want to install Windows on a SSD drive i would buy, here one I have spotted;

Kingston SSDNow V Series Gen II 64GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive (http://www.kingston.com/ssd/v-series.asp)

The problem is, I don't know how to compare the first drive to the second in terms of read/write speeds.

I know the SSD has this : 64GB 200MB/sec. read; 110MB/sec. write, but how I can compare this to a SATA drive?? What means the SATA 3.0Gb/s???

Thanks a lot for your explanations all!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

but how I can compare this to a SATA drive??
    Both drives are SATA drives.

What means the SATA 3.0Gb/s???
    It means the physical connection between the harddrive and the SATA controller (usually the motherboard) is capable of transferring 3 gigabits per second. Incidentally, SATA 3.0Gb/s is the same thing as SATA2, so both drives operate using the same speed of connection. This doesn't mean that the drive is actually capable of delivering 3Gb/s. In fact, neither of those drives even come close to being able to do so (3Gb/s is about 375MB/s).

The three statistics you normally look at when comparing harddrives are seek/access time, read speed and write speed. However, the fact that the unknown mechanical spins at 7200rpm tells you a lot about its performance. A 7200rpm drive is going to have burst read and write times in the neighborhood of 100MB/s with a seek time of a few milliseconds.

Compared to mechanical drives, SSDs usually have a much higher read speed and a drastically reduced seek/access time. Access times for SSDs are normally a fraction of a millisecond. Write speeds on SSDs vary quite a bit, a lot of them are actually slower than mechanical drives when it comes to large writes.

For most applications, an SSD is going to be drastically faster than a mechanical drive. If they weren't no one would buy them because they are so much more expensive than mechanical drives.

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees : Awesome explanation.
    • TheJim01 agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

So, in short, we can say that this SSD drive does not offer such a great performance compared to the other one since it can only have 200/110 MB/s read/write compared to 100 MB/s for the normal hard drive, right?

I would have to look for a better SSD drive?

Thanks for the time you took to explain.
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ExportA
    So, in short, we can say that this SSD drive does not offer such a great performance compared to the other one since it can only have 200/110 MB/s read/write compared to 100 MB/s for the normal hard drive, right?

I would have to look for a better SSD drive?

Thanks for the time you took to explain.
    The SSD has much faster seek times (fraction of a millisecond vs 7-10 milliseconds), and while 7 milliseconds sounds fast, compared to the SSD, it is a long wait. Also, 200mb/s read is still ~twice the regular drive, which is also a definite improvement. You would certinely notice improved Windows performance with the SSD compared to a regular hard drive.

That isn't to say that the SSD you have picked is a particularly fast one, something like this improves the performance with the SATA II interface, or if you have a PCIe x4 slot open you can get even faster
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo