1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Trying to get my pentium1 work again ...

Hello, well I had a pentium1 at home which was no longer switching on/off. I replaced the lithium battery and wonder of wonders it turned on! However I am having some problem in getting the hard drive recognised (this used to work around 8years ago ;] )

Anyways, this is what I did so far ...

1. try another hard disk. This was not recognised either.
    2. try the hard disk on another system. This worked, previous os loaded.
    3. connect cd drive as primary ide (where previously hard drive was connected). This worked fine (I loaded Ubuntu in this way).

Therefore it seems that hard drive works, IDE cable works, Primary IDE socket works ... but ... altogether do not work :[

I also thought that maybe it is a problem of power, i.e. that the power supply is not feeding enough power to the hard drive and therefore this does not start (altough I do hear the hard drive spinning).

Does anyone know what the problem might be?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

when Pentium I's came out, the max hdd size that was recognizable was only 8gb [if I remember correctly].
    So, if your hdd is larger than 8gb, it won't be recognized unless you use a disk/dynamic drive overlay program [like OnTrack Disk Manager].

If the hdd isn't larger than 8gb, then, the only suggestion I can make is to make sure the jumpers are set correctly. Some MB's don't like cable select, others have to be set as master with no slave or master with slave.

thats all the suggestions I have for you...good luck.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

sim085,

Did DonR's suggestion about jumpers help? If not, then did you try to disconnect the CD drive at all and leave HDD connected alone?
    2WDH.com: Professional cPanel Hosting since 2003
    Really helpful support. You're not a number to us! Programming, database and site development help.
    █ No overselling. SSD. RAID. Real 99.99%+ uptime. $2/mo+. Free 2-week trial: no obligation/credit card required.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by 2WDH.com
    Did DonR's suggestion about jumpers help? If not, then did you try to disconnect the CD drive at all and leave HDD connected alone?
    The hard drive I am trying is only 2.5GB, at least that is what it says on the label. The jumpers are set as master and I am connecting it ok I guess.

I did try to connect the hard drive alone, that is without CD drive and without floppy drive. However still nothing. It seems that the hard drive is completely ignored. In other words, Primary Master is marked as None. If I remove the hard drive and connect the CD drive (set it as master) then I get Primary Master and the name of the CD drive!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

sim085,

Try to reset bios settings to defaults.
    2WDH.com: Professional cPanel Hosting since 2003
    Really helpful support. You're not a number to us! Programming, database and site development help.
    █ No overselling. SSD. RAID. Real 99.99%+ uptime. $2/mo+. Free 2-week trial: no obligation/credit card required.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by 2WDH.com
    Try to reset bios settings to defaults.
    Tried to reset bios setting but did still nothing. What I can notice is this. When I start the PC I get a green light on the hard drive. This however turns off after a few secconds (always after the first beep). However I can still hear the hard drive spinning!! I can't figure what the problem might be. The only thing that comes to mind is if the power supply has lost some of its strenght and is not able to fully power the hard drive (but was still able to power the CD drive).
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

How is your hard drive jumpered? If it's set to cable select it may not work right on older motherboards/ide controllers. Also check the IDE cable, maybe you're using a CS cable on a controller that doesn't support cable seletc.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doug G
    How is your hard drive jumpered? If it's set to cable select it may not work right on older motherboards/ide controllers. Also check the IDE cable, maybe you're using a CS cable on a controller that doesn't support cable seletc.
    It is set to master. This is the same hard drive that was connected to the PC before we stopped using it so supposedly all setting should be correct. The cable is also the same one. This system used to work fine and then one day it did not turn on any more and we left it there. I just decided to get it working now

EDIT:
    Does a CD Drive have different power requirments then a hard drive? Or maybe requires a different signal from the mobo? I really can't figure this one out. From the CD drive (connected as Master to Primary) I managed to load linux. But as soon as I swap the CD drive with the hard drive nothing works. I also tried another hard drive and a CF card through an IDE-to-CF adapter. The latter has very low power consumption needs.
    Last edited by sim085; October 25th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo