1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trojan has stopped my computer in it's tracks!

Hi Everyone,

My computer (Toshiba Tecra A9) recently experienced a Trojan infection. I have AVG installed, and it did detect the Trojan, it even went as far as to reboot my computer (to ensure complete removal).

However once my computer rebooted it would not boot into Windows (XP). Instead it just "sat" at a black screen.

I have attempted to boot into safe mode, however it gets stuck here as well.

It won't even boot into the XP Recovery Console. After setting the boot device as CD, inserting the Windows XP installation CD, booting and selecting "R" for the recovery console I get the following on screen:

Error Screen

If anybody has any suggestions on how I can proceed they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Davo
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

In a word: "screwed".

The only thing I can come up with is to reinstall windows over-top of your current install -OR- install into a new folder (setup should ask you to name a folder, name it something like c:\windows2) so that you can boot into your pc. Save any info you can onto external media and format the sucker. You might have some luck with a restore point if you can get that far into the system.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I'll assume you have a SATA hdd in your pc, if so, then, XP boot disk doesn't recognize SATA.

You will either need to go into bios and change the hdd controller from sata to native IDE mode [if the setting is available]...
    or you will need to use a floppy loaded with your sata drivers and press F6 when it tells you so you can load your SATA drivers before recovery console or restore will work.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As another alternative you may want to create a 'slipstream' XP installation CD with the sata drivers included. You can find instructions about slipstreaming in many places on the web, Paul Thurott has a blog page with detailed how-to.

You might want to boot up a linux live CD and make sure the drive hasn't totally died.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo