1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help understanding how logical and physical addresses work.

Hello all,

Given that a particular process is associated with the following table, (addresses are in <p,d> form) and each address is 1000 bytes:

Page#:........Frame #:

Logical address <0, 321> is it legal? and what is the physical address?

I just need help determining how to figure this out or computing this, I am not really concerned with the actual answers.

I greatly appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance,
    -Mathew
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by matthayzon89
    Hello all,

Given that a particular process is associated with the following table, (addresses are in <p,d> form) and each address is 1000 bytes:

Page#:........Frame #:

Logical address <0, 321> is it legal? and what is the physical address?

I just need help determining how to figure this out or computing this, I am not really concerned with the actual answers.

I greatly appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance,
    -Mathew
    OR,
    More specifically, How would I determine whether any given LOGICAL ADDRESS is a legal one?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm not familiar with the <p,d> format.

Each address is 1000 bytes? Or does each address point to a 1000 byte section of memory? Or is each page or frame 1000 bytes?

More specifically, How would I determine whether any given LOGICAL ADDRESS is a legal one?
    To convert a logical address into a physical address, the MMU first takes the logical address and determines its page number.

For example, if I have a 4-bit address:
    0b####

I can choose to use the top two high order bits for my page number. This allows me to divide my address into a total of 4 pages:
    0b00## (0b0000 through 0b0011) (page 0)
    0b01## (etc.) (page 1)
    0b10## (page 2)
    0b11## (page 3)

My MMU has a table which maps page numbers to frame numbers for this particular process:
    Page ..... Frame

Now, say I have an address of 0b1101. The 0b11 tells me to look up Page 3 in my table. This tells me that the physical address of the memory is 55 frames from the start of the memory. If each frame is 1000 bytes, then virtual address 0b1100 is located at byte #55,000.

However, I'm looking for 0b1101, not 0b1100. So I then have to add the offset (the lower-order bits that were not used for the page lookup). In the case of this example, the lower order bits are 01. This offset is added to the physical address (byte #55,000) so I end up with my physical address being physical byte #55,004 (note: I'm assuming a word size of 32 bits / 4 bytes, so memory address 0b01 points to the 4th byte, and 0b10 points to the 8th byte).

A logical address is invalid if its higher-order bits don't map to a valid page number.

Note, it's been a while since I've dealt with MMUs so my terminology might be off a little.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture

As I know Logical address is the address which we can see work on in calculations or programs at runtime. Eg, a pointer pointing to memorie.
    And Physical address is the actual address of the byte in hardware (ed, ram/rom) which is mapped by the logical addrss. After every compilation/execution the logical add can change but the physical will never.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo