1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question I want a amazing pc...

Although I am on a verrryyy tight budget and can't spend any more than 485 Dollars.
    I'm used to ancient dinosaur desktops and my netbook.

I would love to game on my pc.

But I'm pretty sure that's not possible with my money.
    Mainly on my computers I just mess around with programming, play music, download torrents, and use internet.

But I would like to do a lot more.

I want to get the very best I could get with the amount of money I have.

A laptop would be better. But I don't mind a desktop.

My question to you guys is:
    What pc would be the best pc to buy with my amount of money?
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well I just bought this refurb in your price range. I haven't tried any CPU heavy FPS type games, but Civ IV works great on it. Best for the money? Probably not. But consider refurbs they can save you a few bucks. If you want a desktop you can build your own, but that will probably go out of price range quickly unless you can salvage parts (case, power supply, keyboard and monitor primarily) from other computers.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture

For the money you have, a laptop will be tons slower than a desktop, so stick with a desktop, if it is mainly for gaming.
    $485 can get you a fairly decent system if you shop around and build yourself.
    I'm kinda guessing you are from USA, so i don't really know what shops are cheaper etc, as i am from UK, but i had a quick look on compusa and found this in a minute or 2..... http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6610956&Sku=B69-4399

There is a decent motherboard and processor with fan.....$115
    the rest is simple.........use your old case,monitor,hard drive (if poss), keyboard, speakers and mouse.get 3gb of memory and a decent graphics card, and you're off.

$400 will get you a powerful system if you look around
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Stevis2010
    For the money you have, a laptop will be tons slower than a desktop, so stick with a desktop, if it is mainly for gaming.
    $485 can get you a fairly decent system if you shop around and build yourself.
    I'm kinda guessing you are from USA, so i don't really know what shops are cheaper etc, as i am from UK, but i had a quick look on compusa and found this in a minute or 2..... http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6610956&Sku=B69-4399

There is a decent motherboard and processor with fan.....$115
    the rest is simple.........use your old case,monitor,hard drive (if poss), keyboard, speakers and mouse.get 3gb of memory and a decent graphics card, and you're off.

$400 will get you a powerful system if you look around
    The OP mentioned having an old ancient desktop... In which case, he'd probably want a newer hard drive. The case may or may not fit the new motherboard either. Monitor can be used, but if it's as old as the others, then games will look terrible on it depending on what monitor he has.

Again, depending on how old current computer is, you may need a new mouse and keyboard as well (although these are minimal as far as price goes). If the mouse and keyboard are not currently PS/2 or USB, a new one will be needed.

Finally, one consideration you need in getting a computer is OS. I'm assuming Windows, which will be a couple hundred.

Building yourself is probably not the best option. As Medialint mentioned, you can find a decent one being refurbished... I also know Dell offers some for under $500 that are decent. With $485, you may not want to try building one yourself.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    The OP mentioned having an old ancient desktop... In which case, he'd probably want a newer hard drive. The case may or may not fit the new motherboard either. Monitor can be used, but if it's as old as the others, then games will look terrible on it depending on what monitor he has.

Again, depending on how old current computer is, you may need a new mouse and keyboard as well (although these are minimal as far as price goes). If the mouse and keyboard are not currently PS/2 or USB, a new one will be needed.

Finally, one consideration you need in getting a computer is OS. I'm assuming Windows, which will be a couple hundred.

Building yourself is probably not the best option. As Medialint mentioned, you can find a decent one being refurbished... I also know Dell offers some for under $500 that are decent. With $485, you may not want to try building one yourself.
    I have a lot of old cases.
    Most of then will most likely not fit any of that...

But the most recent up to date desktop I have according to google research needs a new power supply
    I'll probably need A new one anyways if I was going to build.
    (It wont even power on.. Just a blinking green light on the back on the power supply)

I have a 19" BenQ monitor which should work fine.
    (Skinny flatscreen.)

Mouse and keyoard I have

Windows isn't a issue for me. Easy to get a hold of..

I have a 250GB SATA hard drive.. But it won't work for any of my working older desktops. Only the newer non working power supply one.

I would like a bigger Hard drive though.
    500GB at the least

I have a DVDRW drive. I don't know if I'll need something better than this or not.

What all do I need?
  11. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by jakejurassic

What all do I need?
    Components you need:
    Case
    Power Supply
    Memory
    Hard Drive
    Video Card
    Sound Card
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Speakers
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Monitor
    Operating System

You mention having some of the above, so research the rest.

A lot of motherboards have onboard video and/or sound. If this is the case, you don't necessarily need another video and/or sound card. However, some games may need more than what the onboard video has to offer.

If you get a standalone video card, then make sure you get a Power Supply that supports that particular video card. Most will tell you the minimum and/or recommended power supply for that video card.

As for the DVD drive. That should be fine. All you need is a drive to be able to install the games from, and most DVD drives should easily be able to accommodate that.

Since you have a current 250 GB SATA Hard Drive, then research a 500 GB last. You won't need 500 GB right off, and this way you can save money (or keep within your budget) until you do end up needing a bigger hard drive. But this way you'll have time to save more money to get the hard drive later.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jakejurassic
    I have a lot of old cases.
    Most of then will most likely not fit any of that...

But the most recent up to date desktop I have according to google research needs a new power supply
    I'll probably need A new one anyways if I was going to build.
    (It wont even power on.. Just a blinking green light on the back on the power supply)

I have a 19" BenQ monitor which should work fine.
    (Skinny flatscreen.)

Mouse and keyoard I have

Windows isn't a issue for me. Easy to get a hold of..

I have a 250GB SATA hard drive.. But it won't work for any of my working older desktops. Only the newer non working power supply one.

I would like a bigger Hard drive though.
    500GB at the least

I have a DVDRW drive. I don't know if I'll need something better than this or not.

What all do I need?
    All fine then. Power supply $60 for a good one. Keep your 250gb hard drive...fine for now, but a 500gb sata would only be about $45, and ur dvdrw is fine. Get yourself 3gb of memory for about $65.

Get the motherboard i showed you, or something similar, and then graphics card and you're looking at $450 ish.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would like to advice that, don't spend too much on the processor. Most of the processor with low configuration are capable of running heavy applications. Spend money on graphic card (As you loves games) and RAM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo