1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

External Hardisk Antivirus

Can I Install My Antivirus on my external hard disk ?. I lived on a apartment wherein Internet Connection is not allowed (sounds weird yes it is, insanely weird) , so my computer can't update my antivirus, so is if its possible on installing my anti virus on my hard disk all i need to do is go to a shop update my anti virus and waddaup.
  3. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by Loraine
    Can I Install My Antivirus on my external hard disk ?. I lived on a apartment wherein Internet Connection is not allowed (sounds weird yes it is, insanely weird) , so my computer can't update my antivirus, so is if its possible on installing my anti virus on my hard disk all i need to do is go to a shop update my anti virus and waddaup.
    Well never tried so...
    But I think, if you did so then the firewall will not be enabled and it will not detect any malware..

However its just my own point of view...
    but the thing you can do is to install Anti-virus software in that portable hard drive... hope it will work..

5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I doubt you can get your AV installed and working on an external drive.

Most AV vendors do offer a download file for definition updates, if you find the download link you can get the file somewhere else then update you AV database.

Or you can move
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  7. They're coming to take me away

You can install it on an external, but you can only run it from the computer it was installed from, which would defeat the purpose.. As Doug mentioned, most should offer a definitions download update which would probably be your best option... or, as also mentioned, move...

There could be another option if you have a cell phone... tether your cell to your computer for internet access to run updates... If your cell provider doesn't allow it, or if they charge a monthly fee, then there are a couple of places that offer a one time charge for being able to tether regardless of provider.

(Disclaimer: Data usage rates may apply)
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. Contributing User

I'm sorry but it's not clear to me regarding the AV file definition.

If I install the Anti virus in my computer ofcourse without internet connection I can't update the Virus Database, isn't it ?. So If I go to computer shop and download some of AV file definition (base on what AV software I'm using) and paste it in my computer does it update itself or not ?
  11. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Loraine
    I'm sorry but it's not clear to me regarding the AV file definition.

If I install the Anti virus in my computer ofcourse without internet connection I can't update the Virus Database, isn't it ?. So If I go to computer shop and download some of AV file definition (base on what AV software I'm using) and paste it in my computer does it update itself or not ?
    You would download a file that you would then copy to your computer. Once on your computer, you would open the database file and it will install the definitions update.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Just as an example Norton AV has definitions downloads available from http://www.symantec.com/business/sec...efinitions.jsp
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  15. Contributing User

Thanks Guys.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo