1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Weird problem in partitioning my laptop hard drive

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion g series 64 bit laptop shipped with Windows 7 Home Basic. when I want to use Windows built-in tool for managing storage media and shrink drive C to make some unallocated space and make new partition I get some errors look like below image:

3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Your hard drive (like most) is configured as a basic disk. Basic disks can have 4 primary partitions, or three primary and one extended partition. You already have 4 primary partitions (System, C:, Recovery, HP_TOOLS), so the only way to make more is by converting to a dynamic disk, which can have multiple volumes, and even spread them across multiple physical drives (as in spanning, or RAID).

However, Windows 7 Home Basic doesn't support dynamic disks, so to add more partitions and drives you will either need to upgrade your version of Windows, or get another physical hard drive.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Or use something like Acronis Disk Directory to expanc C from the unallocated space.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well still, your hard disk doesn't has dynamic partition, I will tell you to go for higher version of OS, if not, go for win 7 professional, which I hope can do that partiton.
  9. No Profile Picture

What a stupid thing, Win 7 Basic that there are limitations in the number of partitions. I think that no Win 98 No such restrictions, but Microsoft probably wants to sell more expensive versions of the Pro ....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo