1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Enable working wireless on 2nd router, how?

Hi all, first of all, here is my problem.

I have a router at home, which is a dedicated for my company, it is for IP Phone. We have a dedicated Internet link for this.

We also have another Internet coming in, which is for our home usage (PS3, laptops, etc.).

I can't enable wireless on my work router but I can on my home router, remember, these router are on the same place, 2 meters in physical distance.

What I would like to do is enable wireless on my 2nd router (home) but while plugged 'under' the work router.

I can't access the admin interface on the 'work' router while I can on the home router, so I can configure it to be on the same IP range.

A friend of mine said he had a similar problem, the exact same scenario and he made it work without a problem.

He told me he plugged a simple switch under his work router and then plugged his 2nd router behind his switch and then he was able to enable wireless on his 2nd router and it worked, can it work really??

Is there a way to make that scenario work and how I must 'configure' the 2nd router. The router is a EnGenius ECB9500 (http://www.engeniustech.com/index.ph...igabit-and-poe)

Thanks a lot!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You'll want to turn off DHCP and any NAT/Firewall functionality on the home router. Then you'll want to assign it a static LAN IP within the IP range of the work router. Plug one of the LAN ports from the home router into one of the LAN ports on the work router (use a switch if you don't have any free ports). After that you should be set. *note* you'll want to setup the wireless settings on your home first to make things easier.
  5. No Profile Picture

Like Seack said you pretty much disable NAT and DHCP in addition to changing your routers IP.

Setting it up like this will pretty much make it like a dummy switch and a wireless access point.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great news, it works! I'm currently connected to that router wirelessly!

Here is what I've done;

1 - Disabled DHCP on 2nd router (home)
    2 - Disabled NAT on 2nd router (home)
    3 - Changed IP of 2nd router to be different from 1st router
    4 - Plugged 2nd to 1st router LAN to LAN with crossover cable

Now, what I want to know, can I entirely secure my 2nd router (home wireless one) with his interface without ever touching the configuration of the 1st one?

I mean, can I enable;

1 - Static IP's for my home devices (ipod, ps3, xbox, laptop, etc.)
    2 - Use the schedule access for my kids
    3 - MAC/IP/URL filtering?
    4 - Can I enable WPA2 protection without issue?

Thanks a lot for your help.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can setup DHCP reservations (if it's an option) on your main router (not the home router).

You can enable WPA2 on your home router (now a wireless access point).

You can apply MAC filtering on the WAP.

For URL filtering I'm not really sure if that will work or not. Since you can't truly turn off the routing on that thing, it may be able to do so. You certainly can't break anything by enabling it so give it a shot.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Fantastic.

My final point is, in a world where I can't access router 1 (work) configuration at all, is there a way where I can access router 2 (home WAP) configuration from outside?

I also have a computer inside my LAN, is there a way to access it via remote desktop? This computer is connected with the WAP, is there a way to connect to that computer without the need to touch the router 1 (work) configuration and just change the config of router 2 (home WAP)?

Thanks a lot.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Most routers now-a-days have the ability to remote into them from the internet; this is typically called remote management. If you enable this I strongly encourage you to enable https (secured browsing). However, since you have your work router in the mix, I'm pretty sure you would have to forward port 443 (https) to the 2nd router; which you can't do since you can't access the main router.

As for accessing a PC remotely, take a look at logmein. There is a free version which works just fine. You could use remote desktop, but with two routers in the mix, and not being able to configure your work router, you probably won't be able to make it work.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'll give a try to LogMeIn. If I can access the PC remotely with that software without have to touch the work router (1st) and the home router (2nd WAP), then I don't need to have access over the internet with the 2nd router since I will connect with LogMeIn then connect to the admin webpage with it.

Thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo