Thread: Old Computer

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Old Computer

hello all,

i have an old unused computer at home and it has 2 80 gb IDE drives
    and since i am running low on space on my laptop...i was thinking if there was a way to get an OS running on the old computer so that i could hook it up to my laptop using a wifi SOHO router

i am sure i could use windows or linux...but i have heard of NAS and i was wondering if it required any special hardware parts

- Lokesh
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Free: Put a linux distro on it and connect it up and use it just for a file share

Free (maybe): If you have a windows distro already licensed or something, throw that on there and do the same thing.

Not free, but perhaps best overall option: Buy a NAS device. You won't get true NAS storage from an old PC and couple disks on it. Basically it becomes just a File Server.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You could look at openNAS or freeNAS if you really need a NAS device and don't want to buy one, NAS retail units are generally kind of pricey.

But I'd just follow Adam's recommendation and put linux and samba on the old pc and use it as a simple file server on your network.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

One thing to keep in mind with harddrives, especially older harddrives, is (a) they use a lot of power and (b) new, bigger ones are dirt cheap and usually more power efficient.

What are you planning to store on the drives? I wouldn't put anything on a NAS that is time sensitive (videos, games, programs, maybe music) unless you plan to copy it to a local drive before using it or have a 1Gbps or faster network connection.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank You All For Your REplies

since i only wanted to use the old computer because it is lying around unused i decided to go with the FreeNAS option....because its fun to learn anything new.. so i went ahead and installed it! its awesome! especially the Web GUI interface!
    i dont plan on buying all special parts and stuff for it
    i plan on storing music becuase most of my songs are about 64 kbps so it doesnt really matter.... its really fast
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Originally Posted by Lokesh1996
    since i only wanted to use the old computer because it is lying around unused i decided to go with the FreeNAS option....because its fun to learn anything new.. so i went ahead and installed it! its awesome! especially the Web GUI interface!
    i dont plan on buying all special parts and stuff for it
    i plan on storing music becuase most of my songs are about 64 kbps so it doesnt really matter.... its really fast
    I'm happy to hear freeNAS installed easily, I've been planning to build a FreeNAS server for quite a while now. Thanks for the update.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture

I also keep some nonsense on the computer, not to clean the hard drives, less and less space I have. I think the ideal solution to leave only the hard disk neohodno you use every day, and the rest burned to DVD discs ...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo