Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Computer not booting

Heya guys.

I hope you can help me with this problem. I recently bough a brand new case for my computer, fitted it and everything and now my computer wont boot, there isnt any beeps sounds. The motherboard lights come on, all the fans come on event the HDD's spin. But nothing happens.

Could you tell me whats the most likely cause? I'm stumped.
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

First, try removing all non-necessary components. Start with just the power supply, motherboard, and CPU. If nothing, replace power supply.

Next, add sound card (if possible.)
    Next, add graphics card.
    Next, add Hard drive.
    Next, add optical drives (one at a time.)
    Lastly, add any other devices.

If any single devices fails it, test and/or replace it. If you get to the end, consider larger power supply.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Most of the time this is due to a loose or backwards connector.

Doing as AdamPI suggests will probably fix the problem, although I recommend removing all components and then re-adding the necessary ones. Also I would categorize a sound card as "any other devices". Also note that some boards won't boot at all without a graphics card.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture

Reply: Computer not booting

Dear, Chevron_001, I want to tell you, you can remove the RAM on the board and clean it and place on another slot then try it ,I think pc will be successful start.!!

Lets enjoy..
    Last edited by hiker; December 27th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Okay. Status report:

Pulled out all the non-essential parts, left a skeleton system. Tried running it again and still nothing. Tried all 4 sticks of RAM and both graphics cards and 2 out of 3 HDD's and still no booting. TO me this seems like its either a CPU / Mobo issue. As far as I can tell everything is being powered, lights on the Mobo are lighting up. This is leading me to believe that its the CPU. Does anyone have any further ideas what could be the cause?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator

I'd make sure I got the motherboard manual from the mfg and then double-check all the headers/jumpers and cable/wire connectors. With a new case you may have one of the front-panel connector plugs in wrong.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

also, make sure you don't have one of the motherboard case standoffs in the wrong place..that it may be grounding out your motherboard.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

The CPU is almost never the problem, so I would suspect the Motherboard first. Pretty much the only way to damage them is to physically break them, overheat them or if they get power surged.

The fact that the motherboard lights up only means that it has power, not that its working. Grounding could be an issue, try running it outside of your case. You could also inspect the capacitors for damage, as those are the components that tend to fail spontaneously the most.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  17. No Profile Picture

Okay, round 3.

I have taken all of your comments and tried everything. I built my computer outside of the case to eliminate the grounding issue, still nothing worked. I did check the manual and placed all the supports were in the right place and to make sure all the I/O jumpers were in the right place. All correct. Still testing on a skeleton system. I assume now its time to buy new parts and hope I have the right one? Unless anyone else has any idea's?

*edit* I also checked the board for any burn marks or the possibility of the capacitors shorting out. No luck there. *end edit*

Thanks everyone for all their help I really do appreciate it.

Steven
  19. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Power supply. Seriously, replace that. Almost anywhere you buy one will let you take it back. So go buy one, try it out, if no change return it. I had a similar sort of symptoms (power lights came on, etc.) and the PSU was the problem in the end.
    Adam TT
  21. No Profile Picture

Wink

the easiest way is to carry away some of the computer services computer diagnostics to do and say what's wrong. then buy and replace a part that does not work. because really there is much that can be caused not work ...
  23. No Profile Picture

Yeah I suppose that is one option.

So far i've replaced the PSU and now waiting on money to test the Motherboard. which since the new PSU isnt helping then i'm guessing thats the piece thats broke.
  25. No Profile Picture

i think you need to check your cable connection properly , because you are saying that
    motherboard lights come on, all the fans come on event the HDD's spin.
    Thanks
  27. No Profile Picture

Yes even I think you should start with power first and then gradually add up other components. Check the functioning of each component individually and then get to know which one is faulty.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It looks like your RAM problem. Remove your RAM clean it and place it again. If still not working then check every single component specially you motherboard and processor.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo