Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Burned dvds freeze and pixels

Hi,

I posted my problem in another 2 forums but I didn't get any solution. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this topic about burning problems but I really need help.

Last two months my burned dvds are freezing and showing pixels.

I am sure the media is not the problem because I've been using Maxell dvd-r for the last 5 years. And I also burned dvds on another computer and they play well on my standalone dvd player. But when I burn dvds on my computer they freeze on the same standalone player.

I also bought a new dvd burner but it was not the problem and I tried all speeds as well.

Please is there any last hope?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are you burning streaming video or tv or something? If so maybe your computer has become too slow due to updates, new software, etc.

Otherwise I'd try some other mfg. media before spending a lot of time troubleshooting something that's due to flakey media. Media is pretty cheap, in the US Costco has 100 packs of Sony CD-R for $17.xx this month,.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Regarding the media, I burned Maxell dvds on another computer and it worked fine. If it is the media problem then it won't play fine, even it is burned on another computer. And yes I already tried other media such as Verbatim DVD-r and TDK DVD-r and all with the same problem.

I burn DVDs from Original movies using DVDfab and copies form other dvd copies using ImgBurn.
    Last edited by miniman; August 12th, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

if it isn't the burner [tried different one] and it isn't burning speed [tried diff speeds] and it isn't the media [tried diff], assuming SATA drive, have you tried a different sata cable? also, have you checked the fragmentation status of your drive? Try defragmenting the drive that contains your files.

only simple things I can think of.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Don, What is sata cable? And yes I already defregmanted the drive.
    Last edited by miniman; August 13th, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

SATA cable, a narrow cable that connects the DVD and the motherboard. may be the ATA cable, which is broader. Connects to as the power cord, it has 4 strings. Generally nowadays DVD players are of lower quality than in the past.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi and thanks for the info.

After all this time trying to figure out, I installed Alcohol120% Trial and I burned 3 dvds with it and they worked all fine. Could this be possible or it's a coincidence? I mean if that was the problem, what is wrong with DVDfab and ImgBurn? They are both updated to the latest version.

But maybe when I burn more dvds they will skip and freeze again, who knows?!!!
    Last edited by miniman; August 13th, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture

maybe these programs are not right. I use Ashampoo Burning Studio 9, it is not always the latest version of good
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You mean the latest updates are not good or the progrmas? Because DVDFab and ImgBurn are a very well known programs and 2 of the best out there!
  19. No Profile Picture

are not always good for updates and new programs, once the older versions work better. I work better version 9 from version 10 Ashampoo Burning Studio
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

But I still believe that the updates of the programs is not the problem. Because how could that happen to all the programs at the same time? I mean DVDfab, ImgBurn and Convertxtodvd.
  23. No Profile Picture

may be a driver problem running programs. I think it is called ASPI drivers. Some do not use these additional drivers, but Windows drivers.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hmmmm can you explain more about ASPI drivers please?
  27. No Profile Picture

Sorting out the ASPI driver mess
    Before you try anything else, give the latest drivers (version 4.71) from Adaptec a try. They are supposed to work under 98/ME/NT/2K/XP and don't care if you don't have an Adaptec SCSI card installed.
    link

If that doesn't work.......
    The ASPI drivers allow CDDA32 and DAT2WAV the ability to talk to the CDROM/DAT drives. Between Microsoft and Adaptec, the ASPI driver situation is completely screwed up. There are more versions of the ASPI32 drivers available than you can count. We will attempt to explain what versions you should use under what configurations.

The four files needed for WinNT/2K/XP are the following:
    (example: WINNT is the WindowsNT home directory)
    WINNT\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL
    WINNT\SYSTEM\WOWPOST.EXE
    WINNT\SYSTEM32\WNASPI32.DLL
    WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ASPI32.SYS

The four files needed for Win95/98/Me are the following:
    (example: WIN95 is the Windows95 home directory)
    WIN95\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\APIX.VXD
    WIN95\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL
    WIN95\SYSTEM\WNASPI32.DLL
    and ONE of the following two files
    WIN95\SYSTEM\ASPIENUM.VXD
    (this is the file that comes from Adaptec)
    WIN95\ASPI2HLP.SYS (this is the file that comes with Win95)

To use SCSI devices with Win95/98/Me
    In order to use SCSI devices under Win95, you must have ASPI drivers installed. On a generic Win95/98/Me install, there will be ASPI drivers from Microsoft automatically installed for you.
    If you have an Adaptec SCSI card and you don't have any ATAPI drives, it doesn't hurt to update the ASPI drivers for Win95/98/Me with the upgraded drivers from the Adaptec web site. WARNING: using these ASPI drivers to upgrade your machine may disable the ability of any software to talk to ATAPI drives. You can get the Adaptec drivers from:
    link

To use ATAPI drives with Win95/98/Me
    In order to use CDDA32 with ATAPI drives under Win95/98/Me, you must have ASPI drivers installed. On a generic Win95/98/Me install, there will be ASPI drivers from Microsoft automatically installed for you. The ASPI drivers that Adaptec has on their web site now MAY NOT allow CDDA32 to talk to ATAPI drives. If this happens you may get it working again by fixing the registry. See the necessary registry settings below.

To Use ATAPI and SCSI drives under NT/2K/XP with SPTI
    ASPI drivers are not necessary for CDDA32 under NT and 2K. We are able to use the SPTI (SCSI Pass Through Interface) Drivers which do not require the user to install any special drivers. CDDA32 should work just fine right out of the box. CDDA32 still requires ASPI under XP

To use ATAPI and SCSI drives under NT/2K/XP with ASPI
    Even with the introduction of the SPTI drivers, you can still use the ASPI interface with NT and 2K. Microsoft doesn't ship any ASPI drivers with Windows NT, so you have no choice but to use Adaptec's ASPI drivers. The trouble is that the ones that they are shipping now do not directly support ATAPI drives, only the SCSI ones and their controllers. There is a workaround. It is likely a problem with the registry settings. See below for the settings that should work.

Hunting for ASPI Drivers
    Either the original ASPI drivers installed with Win95/98/Me or the newest version of the ASPI drivers from Adaptec now support both ATAPI and SCSI drives. The install program from Adaptec checks an entry in the Registry before installing. If you don't have EZSCSI or an Adaptec SCSI card installed then these drivers won't install. In that case have a look at one of the files below that will install. Once the new drivers are installed on the machine, the driver checks for a specific registry entry during the boot up process. If the entry is there, then ATAPI access is allowed through the drivers. If the entry is not there then only SCSI access is allowed through the drivers.

The first thing to check is to make sure that you have a fully functional set of driver files. Adaptec has produced a tool called ASPICHK which will tell you all about the health and version numbers of the drivers on your system.
    link
    The folks at grc.com had produced a program called ASPI_ME that would automatically install the latest version of the ASPI drivers under Windows95/98/NT and set up the appropriate registry entries to make sure the ATAPI drives work. However, Adaptec went after them because they were distributing copies of their drivers without permission. Have a look and see anyway:
    link
    Ahead, the guys who make Nero, have their own NT and Win9x ASPI drivers
    link
    InitIO ASPI for Win NT4/2k/XP
    link

If you are still having trouble check Registry Settings
    You may find that an important entry in your registry is not set correctly. The following entries need to be set if you are trying to use an ATAPI drive with a more recent version of the Adaptec ASPI drivers.

Registry Entry for Win95/98/Me
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\APIX]
    "ExcludeMiniports"=""

Registry Entries for WinNT 4.0/2K/XP
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32]
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Start"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32\Parameters]
    "ExcludeMiniports"=""

Restoring the driver files from the original Win95/98/Me installation CD or disks
    If all else fails you can restore the ASPI drivers to the files that came with your Win95/98/Me disks. Once you have extracted the files you can just copy them into the appropriate locations and reboot. A number of people have let us know that the files can appear in any of the cab files, not just win95_03 or win98_40. If you can't find the files in the these cabs, you may have to try the others. For Win95 here is an example:
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab wnaspi32.dll
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab winaspi.dll
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab apix.vxd
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab aspi2hlp.sys
    (others have found the files in win95_04.cab)
    For Win98 here is an example:
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_40.cab wnaspi32.dll
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_40.cab winaspi.dll
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_47.cab apix.vxd
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_46.cab aspi2hlp.sys
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have tried a new Sata cable and new ram of 1G and I still have the problem.

Regarding the drivers that's a bit complicated. Any idea from where I can download and install the drivers that can be the problem? I dont want to read anymore , I just want to download and install.
    Last edited by miniman; September 2nd, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo