1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PC doesn't power on first few times I press power button

When i press the power button on my PC it really powers on for about a half a second. I can see the fans starting moving, some leds lighting, but afterwards it goes dead. It usually takes a few tries for the computer to really start, after which is works just fine.
    Any idea what it could be?

I have a 350 W ATX PSU, nVidia nForce2 mother board, AMD Sempron 2600+ processor. (yes it's an older computer which i'm trying to revive).

Thank you for your time.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds like a failing PSU, although it could just be a faulty switch.

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

May be fans are not working properly. Check the sound of cpu. It can be the cause.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it could be a powersupply , and could also be dust problem

use an air compresor / air blower ..etc to blow up on all the computer inner componenets , specially around fans and the PSU,

note that while blowing on the fans, make sure that the air does not make them over spin, like you can hold them with your finger, because over spinning can break them.
  9. No Profile Picture

According to me, it can be problem due to power supply of computer that disconnects all USB drives which are connected with it.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ive seen this problem on so many computer, yes it is most likely a power supply problem. in all the cases I've seen, a new power supply fixed the issue right away.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by qwertyuiop123
    When i press the power button on my PC it really powers on for about a half a second. I can see the fans starting moving, some leds lighting, but afterwards it goes dead. It usually takes a few tries for the computer to really start, after which is works just fine.
    Any idea what it could be?

I have a 350 W ATX PSU, nVidia nForce2 mother board, AMD Sempron 2600+ processor. (yes it's an older computer which i'm trying to revive).

Thank you for your time.

Some days back, i had same issue and i got that there is some thing wrong in my power cable.I fit it properly and got it works..
    please check your power cable..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo