Thread: Server Lift...

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool Server Lift...

We have a large server upgrade project coming up. Can anyone recommend a good server lift?
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

As many servers can be quite heavy I would highly suggesting lifting with your knees and not your back. I would also advise in using the "buddy system". A sturdy cart might be useful if you intend to move it more than 100 ft.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are hydraulic moving jacks/dollies available if you have the budget but I don't know any brand names, try google for computer dolly, cabinet jack, etc. I once helped move a mainframe cabinet, and we had to use 4 hydraulic jack dollies, the thing must have weighed 5000 pounds or so.

As Adam said, be careful about lifting if you do it yourself. Sometimes a good heavy-duty hand truck (or two) can be helpful.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking something electric and specialized for the datacenter. I recently came across the ServerLIFT SL-500X and it loots pretty cool
  9. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I don't know any specific models but one thing from my experience you want to look for is a server lift that goes higher than 5 feet. The one we have in the data center I work at only goes about 5 feet so you pretty much have to rely on the buddy system if you want to rack a server bigger than 1-2U above say 30U on the rack.
    Codeinated

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo