1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

want to buy notebook

hi, i want to buy a notebook but i don't know anything about it, any tips for me? thanks...
  3. Capt'n
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If your looking for something that is easy to use, reliable, and want to use it for email, internet and office applications and not married to microsoft, I recommend the iBook. The Powerbook is better, but it is also quite abit more expesnive. I now have had this iBook for a year and love it. (I hated macs before)

If you must go windows, I recommend a sony vaio. That is what I had before this and it served me for 4.5 years before finally the 64MB of ram and Pentium 233 chip wasn't powerful enough. It was one of those ultra light 3.5 pound jobs too.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

sony vaio? i heard that it have a bad customer service, is it true?
  7. Capt'n

I dunno, I didn't need customer service. I did have to buy a new battery from them after 3 years, which it was kinda a pain in the *** to find it on their website.
  9. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

From experience Toshiba and Compaq make really good, high quality notebooks. We use both in the company I work for and they have both proven to be great machines.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi it all depend
    what speed you want, are you going to play video game, are you going to use for video editing etc

I recomend toshiba satellite, I had one for 3 years and still going with no problem.
    I do not recomend compaq
  13. Second highest poster :p

Originally posted by sulaiman202
    I do not recomend compaq
    Why? I would be interested to see why you wouldnt recommend them.
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

15. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I would also not recommend compaq. The company I used to work for had a couple compaq laptops, and they were no end of trouble. Very unstable and generally unreliable. Granted, the users were not very computer literate, but the same people with hp's (before the merger) had no problems. I suppose if hp and compaq are now the same with different logos, these problems may have been addressed.
    just my .02
  17. Second highest poster :p

Hmmm... I think we might have gotten the only two good ones by the sounds of things
  19. Capt'n

My Fiance had a fan problem with her HP (pre merger/buy out) that resulted in Circut City giving her half her money back and she bought a sony desktop.

I've seen a lot of issues with compaq's in the past too, but seemingly it was about two generations of laptops about 2 years ago that were junk. I think compaq has solved some of its issues.

Still if your not married to M$ ibooks are great.
  21. No Profile Picture

why I do not recomend compaq

The reasone I do not is most of the people I know had some problem with compaq, now I am taking about laptop not desktop
  23. No Profile Picture

i personally think IBM thinkpad is one of the best out there. i have one and my dad and most of his co-workers use them. i have the 600e which is a great investment because many parts are interchangeable and upgradeable. and the whole thing weighs under 5lbs. its also a tiny little notebook at only an inch and a half thick and about 11 inches wide. although this cant compare to some of the powerbooks, its still very compact.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo