1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hard drive performance

Greetings. I just purchased a NAS device that I will be using as a media server. It came with 4 400 gb drives. Wanting more storage, I found someone whoo will sell me 4 2tb Seagate barracudas for $80 each - seemed like an awesome deal.

The only potential glitch is that the drives are 5900 rpm rather than 7200 rpm. Do you think this will produce a noticeable difference in performance, specifically with respect to streaming music and video?

Thanks,

Dave
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I expect that you can read music and video off the drives fast enough for smooth playback. It will produce a noticeable difference in performance overall, assuming your network connection is not the bottleneck, but for large continuous reads of the type you would use for audio or video streaming it won't have a major impact. You could look up benchmarks for the specific model of drive and see how fast they are capable of reading back data.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo