1. Learning MySQL, PHP & CSS
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Un-used hardware RAID, using software RAID?

Hi,

a colleague has set up an Ubuntu 10.04LTS server on a Dell Poweredge machine. It has a PERC RAID controller built in, but he ignored this and has used Linux software RAID. He didn't disable the HW RAID controller so it of course gives a "not configured" type of error on boot.

I'm a little concerned :-( The whole system seems to run rather slow. Could this RAID config be causing a problem?
    It said 'Insert disk #2', but only one will fit.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's possible, but not likely, that the unconfigured RAID controller is slowing down the system.

Depending on what sort of RAID configuration you have and what sort of load the server experiences, the fact that you're using software RAID could be contributing to a slowdown. Unless the server is under heavy load though it's unlikely that you see a noticeable difference as a user (between hardware and software RAID).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Learning MySQL, PHP & CSS
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks E-Oreo,

The server is very lightly loaded and I can't remember the RAID configuration used. I'm just trying to find out why it seems to take so long to 'remote' in whereas my home server (very low spec and no RAID - so maybe not a good comparison) is much quicker.

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    It's possible, but not likely, that the unconfigured RAID controller is slowing down the system.

Depending on what sort of RAID configuration you have and what sort of load the server experiences, the fact that you're using software RAID could be contributing to a slowdown. Unless the server is under heavy load though it's unlikely that you see a noticeable difference as a user (between hardware and software RAID).
    It said 'Insert disk #2', but only one will fit.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo