1. I [heart] Toxic Waste
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

2 computers 1 monitor

I would like to set up two computers w/ an A/B switch into 1 monitor to save desk space in my dorm. What would the exact product name for this be and where would the cheapest place to find this sort of thing be?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

5. No Profile Picture

I use a Belkin Omnicube KVM switch which enables me to have just one keyboard, mouse and monitor shared between two PC's. I use a Windoze and a Linux box - both can be on and it is a one-button press to switch between them. It works faultlessly and not particularly expensive - although I bought it a few years ago and can't remember the price!

Cheers

Geoff
  7. Perl Monkey
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows
    I don't know your expertise or network situation, but if they are networked together, you could just connect everything to one computer, then run some kind of remote desktop tool, like VNC, to control the other one. It works well over a lan connection, but I'm pretty sure you don't get special video card modes, like 3D and overlay. So if you have one computer setup to where you wouldn't need those, it's a free solution without adding desk clutter.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo