1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tower + wirelessly linked laptop

Hi, not sure if this exists but i was looking to link my tower to a wireless monitor and keyboard, basically i was looking to build or buy a wireless laptop ( used for keyboard / mouse / display reasons) which is connected to a PC tower. The reason for this is i frequently move from room to room in my house and would find being able to move a "wireless laptop" connected to a PC tower much easier then moving and setting up the monitor, keyboard and tower each time i wished to change rooms.

Although buying a laptop would be an easier solution, the laptop i would be after would be a gamming one, which tends to be expensive.

I have done some research on this but can't find much info, is a setup like this available to buy?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Wireless keyboards and mice are pretty common. I have never heard of a wireless keyboard / mouse / monitor combo though, I don't think such a thing would have a sufficiently large market to warrant its manufacture.

They do make devices that can wireless transmit video from one point to another; however, they require a base station on both sides of the link, so you would have to carry/connect two of those around too. These generally cost $100 - $300. The downside is that they usually support a pretty limited maximum resolution and refresh rate due to the fact that a standard HDMI cable has a bandwidth of about 10 Gb/s and the fastest available wireless technology has a maximum theoretical bandwidth of about 600 Mb/s (ie: approximately 15 times less bandwidth, not taking into consideration the fact that wireless links practically never operate at their maximum theoretical speed).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo