1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Hard drive failed!

My second hard drive just failed!!

It's a Western Digital Green 1Gb SATA; I've been using it as a second hdd for storage, for about 1.5 years.

I can't see it with Explorer.

Error messages:
    "E: is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy error)"
    and
    "You need to format the disk before you can use it"

This happened suddenly, today, out of the blue.

When I go to Disk Management, after a long time it says that the drive is RAW and healthy!

I ran a test with SeaTools after rebooting and it shows that "test failed" and some codes.

Here are the images:
    Img1
    Img2
    Img3

The hdd gave little signs of problems before (like cyclic redundancy error), so at that time I ran check disk at boot, but it never happened to fail..

Please help, what can I do?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Please help, what can I do?
    Depends on how important the data on the drive is to you.

If the data is critical, don't try to recover it yourself. Find a company that specializes in clean room data recovery from failed drives and pay them to do it. This will probably run you a few hundred dollars.

If the data isn't that critical, you can try to recover it yourself. There's a variety of different drive recovery software on the market, none of which I have used and so can't really make any recommendation. Most of it is not free, but it's cheaper than professional recovery. You run the chance of damaging the drive further though.

If you find a company that only charges $xx for recovery, it's likely that all they're going to do is run that type of software on it.

Neither method is guaranteed to work. If the drive platter is physically damaged it may be impossible to recover any data. The software methods won't work at all if something mechanical in the drive has broken permanently, like the read head.

Now for the future:
    1) Make backups of all data that is important to you and keep them up to date. You should never have less than two copies of any data that has any value.
    2) If a drive gives you an indication that it's failing, don't ignore it. The fact that it doesn't fail immediately doesn't mean it isn't going to.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks E-Oreo, but if software like SeaTools which work at boot say that the test failed, than I assume that it could be not a software issue, so no matter what software I try it's in vain...

I know it's good to make backups, and this hdd was intended to be used for that.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I am wondering why you are using a Seagate brand tool on a Western Digital harddrive, instead of using the Western Digital tool [Data LifeGuard]?
    I would try using the proper branded tool and see what errors show up.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I used WD's tool in Windows too and same result- "Too many bad secors" and "Extended test failed"

SeaTool works before boot so I think it's better, that's why I gave it as a best example.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If the drive was for backups then just scrap it and replace it. At this point nothing you could possible do to the drive would ever make me trust it to store data again.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo