1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[Help] ASUS-N45SF Memory Dump BSOD

Specs:
    Code:
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N45SF/#specifications
    Hi guys,

My laptop won't turn on normally, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

When it does, it goes to BSOD and says it's memory dumping. It has been upgraded to 8GB RAM -- DDR3 1333 SODIMM 4GB (x2) if that information matters.

Help anyone? Please?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Did this issue start after the memory upgrade; or did it occur before that? If it started after the upgrade, I would be suspicious of either incompatible RAM or faulty RAM.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi guys, this is my correspondence with ASUS. Anything you can come up with?
    Code:
    Dear Lance,

1) As I have mentioned earlier, I have already ran the ASUS Live Update. I have downloaded and installed all BIOS/driver updates. The problem still persists.

2) The memory I added is a TRANSCEND 4GB DDR3 1333 SODIMM, the card stated in the N45SF specs page:
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N45SF/#specifications
    Also, I strongly doubt it is memory and laptop incompatibility. If it was the memory, it will not boot at all whether the AC power is plugged in or not. On battery power, it powers on and shuts down normally.

3) A virus is just farfetched. The laptop is brand new and the only business it had with the internet is the Windows 7 and ASUS updates.

The problem is triggered when the AC power is plugged in.

What are your other solutions to this?

================================================

---------- Original Message ----------
    To:rollo.katherine@gmail.com
    Date:2013-05-17 02:50:07

Dear Valued Customer,
    Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service.

Hi, for the first issue, could you please update the bios for a try?
    The following link is the download site, please refer it.
    BIOS 223
    http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=355&m=N45SF&os=30&ft=3&f_name=N45SFAS223.zip#N45SFAS223.zip

Windows BIOS Flash Utility
    http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=355&m=N45SF&os=30&ft=21&f_name=WinFlash_Win7_32_Win7_64_Z2311.zip#WinFlash_Win7_32_Win7_64_Z2311.zip

Then, for BSOD, have you ever add another memory onto your laptop?
    The problem you mentioned may be caused by the incompatibility of the memory and the laptop.
    If so, please remove it for a try.
    Also, your problem may be caused by virus, so please use some virus killer software to kill the virus. Further more, you can reinstall your OS if the problem persists, as a remind I ought to tell you to backup the important datum before the reinstall.

If your problem can not get solved after doing what mentioned above, I ''m afraid you should have to contact our service center for a check and our engineers there will help you deal with it. Wish you have a nice day.

The attachment is the contact information.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Later you may receive a satisfaction questionnaire for this service.
    Trouble you again with this rating (1 is poor ; 10 is excellent ; 7 or greater than 7 means “satisfied”), in order to provide better service for you.
    Best regards
    Lance
    ASUS service center

================================================

---------- Original Message ----------
    Sent : 2013/5/16 1:44:49
    To : "techsupport@asus.com"
    Subject : Notebook N45SF
    [CASEID=WTM20130516094450141]
    Apply date : 2013/05/16 01:44:50(UTC Time)
    [Contact Information]
    *Name : Katherine Rollo
    *Email Address : rollo.katherine@gmail.com
    Phone Number : +639275187538
    City : Las Piñas City

[Product Information]
    *Product Type : Notebook
    *Product Model : N45SF
    *Product S/N : B9N0BC25794038D
    Place of Purchase : Permanent Computer Corner - Branch
    *Date of Purchase : 2012/08/04
    *Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

[Problem Description]
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    STOP ERROR: 0x0000009F

When I power on the laptop WITH the AC power plugged in, it would not boot. If I plug
    in AFTER power on, it is okay.

When I shut down WITH the AC power plugged in, it goes to BSOD with the said
    failure. If I uplug BEFORE shutdown, it is okay.

I have installed all Windows 7 updates and ran ASUS Live Update, but both
    problems (i.e. no-boot and BSOD) still persist.

However, the laptop powers on/shuts down properly WITHOUT the AC power.

Any help?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Couple things,

1. It is entirely probable the memory is the cause considering the problem didn't start until you added the memory. Your premise that the laptop will not boot up is correct if the memory itself is incompatible. However, if it is simply defective, it will still try to boot. Once the laptop tries to load the OS and starts running into the bad memory addresses, you'll start to get random BSODs either during startup or when using the PC. However, this doesn't explain why it would BSOD during shutdown; unless you were putting it to sleep or hibernation instead of shutdown?

2. If you suspect it's the AC adapter, try testing it's voltage output with a voltmeter. If it's reading isn't within the parameters listed on the back of the ac adapter, send it back. You could always go to a local electronics store and purchase a universal power adapter. Test that for a day and see if it works fine on that. If it does I would return the universal and get a replacement from Asus.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo