1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gaming PC for $500

This website has a pretty nice gaming PC for 500 bucks.

Tech Canoe - Gaming PC
    Last edited by Kravvitz; September 19th, 2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: substituted the URL for the specific article
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are you advertising or are you thinking about buying one and asking for opinions?

I wouldn't buy it because I prefer a quad-core CPU and more HDD space -- 500 GB is a bit low for a gaming PC at this point. And my current PC is better than that one anyway.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

I am mainly wondering about the video card and CPU. With hyperthreading, isn't an i3 essentially quad-core?

I was thinking about these two processors:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/356/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6350_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-4130.html

The FX 6350 is slightly (~1%) better overall than the i3 4130, but it costs $10 more (1.1% more) and uses over twice the power.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I would consider this a spam/advert post because of the link involved [takes you to main site and not directly to post] and the fact that every link on that site uses adfoc.us links for monetizing.
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Hyperthreading doesn't work for some things. And you can see that multi-threading comparison yourself -- the real quad-core beat it. However, not many games and applications have been rewritten to take full advantage of 4 or more cores. What do you intend on using the computer for?

I agree that 125W is a lot. That's one of the reasons why I switched from AMD processors to the Intel Core-i5 2500k. The other reason was performance. If you're worried about power, then I'd recommend you consider getting an "80 plus" certified power supply.

Actually NewEgg is currently offering an instant rebate on that AMD CPU, so their prices are the same there.

As for video cards there's currently a mail-in-rebate for this Radeon HD 7790 from XFX, which is factory overclocked and has dual fans. I've enjoyed having the XFX cards I've had. I have not had one from VisionTek.

By the way, I definitely recommend ASUS motherboards. I've been using them for a long time now.

P.S. Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of my favorite games. I recommend it for anyone who likes first-person shooters with role-playing elements.

Originally Posted by DonR
    every link on that site uses adfoc.us links for monetizing.
    Yeah. I've been careful not to click on any. I've edited Reav13's post to substitute the URL for the specific article.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; September 19th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    I would consider this a spam/advert post because of the link involved [takes you to main site and not directly to post] and the fact that every link on that site uses adfoc.us links for monetizing.
    I copied the url of the page with the post on it, sorry.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Hyperthreading doesn't work for some things. And you can see that multi-threading comparison yourself -- the real quad-core beat it. However, not many games and applications have been rewritten to take full advantage of 4 or more cores. What do you intend on using the computer for?

I agree that 125W is a lot. That's one of the reasons why I switched from AMD processors to the Intel Core-i5 2500k. The other reason was performance. If you're worried about power, then I'd recommend you consider getting an "80 plus" certified power supply.

Actually NewEgg is currently offering an instant rebate on that AMD CPU, so their prices are the same there.

As for video cards there's currently a mail-in-rebate for this Radeon HD 7790 from XFX, which is factory overclocked and has dual fans. I've enjoyed having the XFX cards I've had. I have not had one from VisionTek.

By the way, I definitely recommend ASUS motherboards. I've been using them for a long time now.

P.S. Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of my favorite games. I recommend it for anyone who likes first-person shooters with role-playing elements.
    The FX 6350 is six cores by the way, which is probably why it won in multi-thread.

So would you recommend an i5 over the i3, I mean is it worth the extra cost if I am planning on using the PC for gaming?

Or should I go with an i3 and invest more in the video card?
  15. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Oh, yeah. Good point. The quad-core FX-4350 doesn't have the significant improvement in that area over the i3-4130.

Do any of the games you intend to play recommend having more than 2 cores? If not, then probably not.

That's a good question. I'd suggest looking at reviews that compare the performance of the Radeon HD 7790 and 7850 to see if you think the extra money is worth the performance boost:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,3462.html
    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...adeon-hd-7790/

17. No Profile Picture

Thanks man, I'll take your advice. I will probably end up waiting for a Christmas sale or something in order to find a good deal.
  19. No Profile Picture

[Spam title removed by Nilpo]

HP Black 500-023w Desktop PC with Intel Core i3-3240 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 8 Operating System (Monitor Not Included) from newegg site
    Last edited by Nilpo; November 15th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo