1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Why is my computer randomly sluggishly slowing down?

Hello,

So recently, I've noticed when I play games, like on Super Nintendo via an emulator, or even like a 3D Game like Prince of Persia Warrior Within, my comp will randomly every five or 10 minutes, just noticeable slow down in frame rate for about five seconds, which obviously causes a lot of huge frustration.

I don't understand how it could even stall on simple games like Super Nintendo...

Anyway, so its an older machine running Windows XP, has an Athlon 3800+ single core cpu, X1650 XT video card, 3 gigs of ram, and a 200 gig HDD, that's pretty much full. I do have a spare HDD that I've only backed up my music on, so if its an hdd issue, I could move stuff to that drive too aka an additional 80 gig drive.

Any ideas? I tried scanning with Avast's 'quick' system scan but that took like 20 mins...

Either way, I have time to do a good full scan, so please let me know what free programs I should use to scan for any malware.

Thanks a bunch for reading my post!
  3. Contributing User

Maybe you should check to your processor. Intel processors are more safe for playing games than others.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since I'm stuck with an AMD Athlon 3800 single core, is there anyway to update drivers? Just wondering.
  7. No Profile Picture

If your virus/spyware free, there are a couple things you can do get your computer working faster. If you using your computer for normal stuff and not gaming. You don't always need more RAM you just need to perform a few maintenance task.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Exactly how much free space do you have on your HDD that's running Windows? XP needs to be defragmented periodically, which requires a minimum of 10-15% HDD space IIRC; and even at that sometimes it can't defrag everything depending on individual file size.

If you are below 10 or 15% free space you can run the built in disk cleanup wizard that comes with Windows, or you can use a free program such as CCleaner.

3GB of RAM is more than enough for XP, so that is not the issue. If it were a virus your PC would most likely be sluggish all the time; not just when gaming (plus you'd see pop-ups, etc..).
  11. No Profile Picture

Use spybot and malwarebytes free to clean up any malware you may have.

you should update all of your motherboard drivers from the manufacturer's website and your graphics drivers from amd.com.

Try freeing up disk space to get rid of unwanted programs and files. You might want to consider using windows disk compression but this would significantly affect performance. The best option is to get a 500GB hdd which are quite cheap these days.

If the problem still persists, try using a different emulator.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo