1. Learning MySQL, PHP & CSS
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Preserving battery life?

Is there a recommended way of using noteboooks/laptops on battery in order to prolong the life of the battery i.e. always allowing the battery to almost completely discharge before charging it? Battery life being how long it will last before needing to be replaced as opposed to how long the system will run on battery.
    It said 'Insert disk #2', but only one will fit.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I don't know how relevant it now is, but I have been told that the initial charge for a new battery should be for a long period (10 to 12 hours), then every 4 weeks or so allow the battery to run down before re-charging normally.

Comments on this post

• mikeatvillage agrees
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

As I was suggested, one should not use a laptop while charging its battery. Once you charge your battery fully, then you can unplug the charger and use it totally on a battery mode. Battery life usually depends on the work that you are doing on your laptop. As I have observed that playing video files discharges the battery very fast, but if you are working without media files, then you can get a backup of 2-3 hours at a go. But make sure to use your laptop on a battery mode always removing the battery charger. This will help you to elongate your battery life.

Comments on this post

• mikeatvillage agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I know this thread is about two weeks old now. But I wanted to chime in here. From what I've read, batteries in your laptops and cell-phones (Li-Ion IIRC) can stay plugged in without causing much damage to the "life" of the battery; if any. It's the heat that actually shortens the useful life of them. Granted, the act of charging the battery can produce heat, some laptops tend to get hotter than others. I never have figured out why MFGs put vents on the bottom of their laptops.

I do agree with the others that it can be useful (especially the 1st time) to charge the batter fully, and then drain it fully. However, after that, I think the battery's exposure to heat will be the biggest variable.

Comments on this post

• mikeatvillage agrees

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo