1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

How to check if I have read/write errors?

Hello,

Is there a program I can use to check if hard disk is having a lot of read/write errors?

I have a pc that has become very slow. I took back up of most of the files but for some of the files I got an error that these could not be backed up. This is not really an issue to be honest.

However I would really like to know if the system is having problems when reading or writing data to the drive.

Is there any tool (maybe already pre-packed with WindowsXP or something I can download) which can help me identify any such issues?

Regards,
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

In Explorer trying right-clicking on the drive. From the pop-up menu you should fine, under on of the options, a drive error check option (along with defrag and backup). It's probably under the Properties option.
    Failing that drives used to be SMART which meant they had the ability to tell a bit of software 'how they were feeling'. No idea if that is still the case or where you'd get the software to do the checking.

Comments on this post

• sim085 agrees
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Right click on your hard drive (E.g Local Disc (C). Select Properties from the list.Go to Tools there will be an Error checking options to check the drive for errors. Click on check now. Windows will
    automatically check and possibly fixed errors. If this doesn't work there are numerous programs available on-line to check for disk read-write errors
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Smile

No offense to Dut, but since he felt like necro'ing this thread; the easiest way to check for disk errors is to actually run the MFG diagnostic tool (typically a bootable CD that is available for download from their website) or check Event Viewer>Windows Logs>System for any warnings or errors that are related to, "disk" or "ntfs".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo