1. echo $usertitle['computer'];
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Old files to new PC - which way?

Hi,

I have an old mates PC with a load of data on it.
    It is Win 98, but is totally crapped and wont boot to windows properly. It has (IDE) a 4Gb HDD which is C:/ with the boot bit on it and a 60Gb HDD which is E:/ with files on it (he also copied the files to C:/ as backups, so I can use that as the backup was only a few days old when it messed.

I think the CD (D:/) is Primary Slave, C:/ is Primary Master and E:/ is Secondary Master.

I also have a computer I can put the old hard drives into to get the data off running dual boot Linux RH9 and Win 95a.

Which is the best way to get the files off, and onto my network to another computer with a CD-RW? The dual boot PC has network on both linux and windows running correctly.

Does 95 support 60Gb HDD? If I boot a bootable HDD in a PC as slave will it boot correctly (I assume it would unless you set the BIOS)? Shall I mount it on Linux or get it on Windows?

I sorta have two goes at this, but the data musnt be lost, as I can try with the 4Gb and the 60Gb if need be.

This might sound a bit stupid but I don't want to risk it for failure.

Thanks,
    computer
  3. action=(isSleep())?sleep:code;
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've taken old HDDs that were originally primaries and used them as a slave without any problem. It's how I transferred my data between my old pc and my new one, then transferred all the stuff I wanted over to the new HDD and clean formated the old HDD.
    To be extra safe you might want to not use win95a, it's ridiculously unstable (which may lead to corrupt data).
  5. echo $usertitle['computer'];
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

well Its on there and I cant be bothered to reinstall it :-)

still it works pretty well, I only had a few boot problems when I installed my network card but that is fine now

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo