1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Planning a M.2 SSD 2280 upgrade

Hi everyone, I'm planning to upgrade my current Samsung 850 2.5 inch SSD 256Gb drive for a 512Gb one, but instead of going with a 2.5 inch drive, I'm looking to add a M.2 2280 drive since they are faster.

Since my board doesn't have an embedded M.2 card slot, it's a P8Z68 Deluxe : Bitly, I'm checking to have a M.2 adapter, but I'm not sure it will be compatible and if yes, that I'll get the actual speed boost from it with my PCI ports, here is my current motherboard ports;

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
    1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
    2 x PCI

I have a nVidia GTX 1060 connected to a PCI x16 port and that is all.

What I would like to insert is this adapter : Bitly and then add this drive : Bitly

I don't want to cut performance from either the video card or the new M.2 SSD drive (x16 or dual x8... ??)

First of all, is it compatible AND will I get the maximum out of the M.2 drive with this adapter, or that kind of adapter?

Second, where should I connect the adapter and the M.2 drive if I want the maximum out of the video card AND the new drive?

Third, can I just image my current Windows setup (I reinstalled about 2-3 months ago) from the Samsung 850 Pro drive and apply this image to the newly installed M.2 drive?

Is there anything I should be aware of regarding this?

Thanks a lot.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

The card and drive should be fine near as I can tell. You'd install the card into your bottom-most PCIe slot (slot #7 in the manual).

The drive should work fine as secondary storage. Whether or not you'd be able to boot from it or not I do not know. I couldn't find any info regarding that for your specific motherboard after a few minutes of googling.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo