1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

75C? What the... I just turned it on!

About 3 three months ago, my parents sent my computer to some dodgy man so he could add some RAM. When he sent it back, it immediately stopped working, so we sent it back to him. He said that the power supply failed. When we got it back again, I noticed that the computer seemed a little bit quieter.

Recently, my computer has become unbearably slow and and crashes frequently. It's becoming a real problem.

I know it's not my OS or software because I haven't installed any new software for some time now and I always run virus checks, etc.

A couple of days ago, I went into my computer's BIOS on statup and saw that the fan was running at around 5000rpm, but my CPU's temperature was 75C. That seemed a little higher than what it was before (45 - 55C) .

I opened up my computer case (Installing a NIC), and found that there were only 2 fans(1 CPU, 1 PSU), instead of the 4 that were previously there. Could this be the cause of my computer crashing?
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by WastePotato
    my CPU's temperature was 75C. That seemed a little higher than what it was before (45 - 55C)
    Yeah ... a little bit. To convert this to F for you assuming the typical was 50 now its 75 ... thats roughly 122F vs 167F. The latter will give you third degree burns, the former will let your reflexes get you out of not being burned at all.

found that there were only 2 fans(1 CPU, 1 PSU), instead of the 4 that were previously there
    Yeah ... how about a case fan!? How many other parts did this crook pull out of your computer? I would not be surprised that you have a new (less valuable) graphics card and probably even a new (older, less powerful) CPU ... did you actually get any more RAM in the end? In fact your PSU probably "failed" because he replaced your good one with one that was already dead.

Three words come to mind: Small Claims Court
    Last edited by medialint; May 6th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo