Thread: 82c CPU temp??

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

82c CPU temp??

I started building a Core 2 Duo system (minus the CPU since it's backordered like mad)..

I'm using an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard and a P4 2.8 CPU (got it a few months ago) temporarily...

My problem is that Asus PC Probe II is reporting that my CPU is running at 82c (under load).. which from what i can tell is WAY too hot.. i checked several times to see if the heatsink is installed properly and it seems to be, mind you it's not especially hot.. which makes me think that the temperature readout is wrong..

I would figure that if the CPU was really running that hot i would be seing crashes and possibly a dead cpu, but the system is running perfectly..

any ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

buy a temperature probe and use it instead the ones on the mobo are NOT very precise
  5. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

your system would have crashed a long time ago if that's the real temp

you should only trust the on-die temp sensor, it can be read by many temp sensor programs but they can sometimes mess up the reading
  7. No Profile Picture

Almost Indestructable CPU

It wont damage your CPU or crash out your computer, i had a old computer with a 330 Mhz processor on it, i used BIOS to overclock it up to 600Mhz and i also diconected the CPU fan and removed the heat sink. It stood up to 113'C according to the BIOS temperature monitor and SpeedFan said it was at 107. I fried it in the end though, i left it running outside for 2 hours (I put it outside incase of fire) when i disconnected the CPU from the motherboard, the plastic holder under the CPU was melted and the CPU smelt like a fried circuit board. So then i just bought out the sledgehammer.
  9. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by Squidleydee
    It wont damage your CPU or crash out your computer, i had a old computer with a 330 Mhz processor on it, i used BIOS to overclock it up to 600Mhz and i also diconected the CPU fan and removed the heat sink. It stood up to 113'C according to the BIOS temperature monitor and SpeedFan said it was at 107. I fried it in the end though, i left it running outside for 2 hours (I put it outside incase of fire) when i disconnected the CPU from the motherboard, the plastic holder under the CPU was melted and the CPU smelt like a fried circuit board. So then i just bought out the sledgehammer.
    that's not a modern computer, all modern CPUs are rated to go up in smoke in the 65-80C range, the exception are the mobile ones like the Pentium-m which is rated for 100C, older CPUs were made with a larger process and i would think it makes it easier to allow for higher temps, the other thing is how do you know that it was stable and not causing permamit damage? did you run checks to ensure that all data was being properly processed (for example run super pi and verify the result)

just because it didn't crash during those 2 hours does not mean that it was properly processing all its data without causing permanent damage (and you said it did cause permanent damage), unless you are running a laptop 82C will cause permanent damage to the CPU and lead to invalid results that will eventually cause a crash

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo