Thread: Air flow

1. No Profile Picture
    http://stealthwd.ca
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Air flow

What do most people recommend for airflow? Do you simply have all the fans blowing air out of the case? I was thinking it might make sence to have a fan on the front of the case sucking cool air in, then a fan on the upper rear of the case sucking the hot air out.
    Good idea???
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

For proper air flow, keep in mind that it is always good to have the entire case together. A lot of people like to have the side of their case off, maintaining that it makes everything colder and reduces the temperature. This isn't the case at all, to maintain proper air flow you need the entire case together.

Now, onto fans. If you don't mind noise and aren't going for a "quiet" PC, then this is for you, not that this is expressly loud, but it also depends on what fans you choose. Anyways, I'm babbling. Your power supply is already going to be pulling air in and then blowing it down into your computer, so having exhaust ports near it are worth mentioning, such as rear exhaust fans and an upper exhaust fan, those are the best places for exhaust ports, then have intake ports on the front and if you have a place, one on the side as well.
  5. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

usally its intakes in the front and side, exaust in the top and back

the idea it to just get as much air from outside the case to flow past the parts that make heat, and then exit the case, the the more air from outside that is moving past the hot parts the better
  7. No Profile Picture

Try to maintain "positive pressure" in the case, meaning a bit more airflow in than going out. This prevents dust from being sucked into all the nooks and crannies in the case, like around the drive openings. You can also put an air filter in front of that intake fan, to limit how much dust gets in the system, but it needs to have a large surface area to minimize the airflow resistance.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Arak_TaiRoth
    Your power supply is already going to be pulling air in and then blowing it down into your computer, so having exhaust ports near it are worth mentioning, such as rear exhaust fans and an upper exhaust fan, those are the best places for exhaust ports, then have intake ports on the front and if you have a place, one on the side as well.
    Uhhhhh my experience is exactly the opposite of what you describe. Every power supply I have worked with blows OUT! In any case it is not always a good idea to rely on the supply to vent the air from your case & exhaust fans are needed. An earlier post mentioned inlet fans being of little use & I agree, except in a dusty enviroment. An inlet fan will help control the entry of dust to that location instead of every crack & gap in the case. This allows you to put a dust filter there & hope you can remember to clean it.
    Last edited by aitken325i; October 24th, 2006 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote :o)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo