AMD Athlon 64 (Brisbane) heating issues

Hello Friends,

I have a combination of the following

ASUS M2N MX SE motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (Brisbane)
    4GB RAM
    160 GB HDD
    XP Pro 32 Bit

This PC is a little over 2 years old now.

Of late I noticed that my PC was automatically shutting down while trying to burn DVDs. It was actually shutting down during the transcoding process itself. Using Nero 7 here.

I learned that this is caused by overheating of the CPU. I installed SpeedFan and noticed that the idle temp was at 69C and was shooting upto 85 Deg C while transcoding the video.

I opened up the cabinet and cleaned the pile of dust off the heatsink and the cooler fan.

Now, SpeedFan shows that the idle temp is around 50 - 52 Deg C @ 3409 RPM.

I wanted to know, is this normal for the configuration mentioned above.

Should I bother to re-coat the CPU with a fresh layer of Thermal Grease? Would it help?

Kindly advise.
    Last edited by blackystrat; October 4th, 2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: added more info
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Where is the computer located? Is there space around it to allow for adequate air flow? What is the ambient temperature? How many fans?
    The temperature you list is higher than I would expect, but many factors can influence temperature. New thermal paste may help, moving the case or the items around it to improve airflow may help, adding a case fan may help, cooling the surrounding room air may help...etc. Try it and see!
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by karsh44
    Where is the computer located? Is there space around it to allow for adequate air flow? What is the ambient temperature? How many fans?
    The temperature you list is higher than I would expect, but many factors can influence temperature. New thermal paste may help, moving the case or the items around it to improve airflow may help, adding a case fan may help, cooling the surrounding room air may help...etc. Try it and see!
    Hello Dave

Thanks for your reply. Yes there is adequate free space around the PC, even though the PC is located at a place which is slightly warmer than the room temp.

I submitted a support ticket with AMD and as per them, my processor has a max temp range of 55-72 C

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=60

I have cleaned the heatsink off the dust. Now I would be adding a case fan and maybe a fresh coat of thermal compound and see if that helps.

Thanks again
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have an AMD Anthlon X2 Brisbane 5400+ and it idles at about 40C -45C and that's with decent cooling, they are known to run pretty warm but not as hot as your's was getting.

Cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying a new layer wouldn't hurt, you might see a small decrease in temp, but I wouldn't expect a huge gap

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo