Unhappy AMD temp of 107C?

Computer Specs

AMD XP 3000+
    Albatron KX18D Pro
    Scythe Kamikaze Fan/Heatsink
    2 - 512MB Kingston HyperX PC4000
    120 GB HDD
    2 - 80mm case fans, 1 intake, 1 exhaust

I decided to check my cpu temp because I was going to put my computer in a cabinet and I was worried about heat. This is a fairly new system I've built, so I haven't run a lot of stuff on it yet, but I have been able to install programs, download, surf, etc. without any lock ups or hanging.

I installed Motherboard Monitor, SpeedFan, and MBProbe. They all report (about the same for each) abnormally high temps. At one point last night, it said my processor was 107C , but shouldn't the computer crash at that temp? The specs say that the CPU will fail at anything above 90C.

I was thinking the sensor on the MB might be bad. Any ideas? I really don't want to fry this chip!
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

That temp is wrong, the cpu would be fried. Can you look in the BIOS for a temp? Are you sure your cpu and board are supported by mbm?
    Do double check that the heatsink is attached firmly and the fan is spinning.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

like karsh said check bios.normally you hit delete when your the screen for your mobo comes up (biostar/abit/asus/etc.)

and i would order some good thermal paste and reattach the heatsink....
  7. Contributing User

feel the comp, is it hot? like boiling water hot?

Originally Posted by dudeman
    Computer Specs

AMD XP 3000+
    Albatron KX18D Pro
    Scythe Kamikaze Fan/Heatsink
    2 - 512MB Kingston HyperX PC4000
    120 GB HDD
    2 - 80mm case fans, 1 intake, 1 exhaust

I decided to check my cpu temp because I was going to put my computer in a cabinet and I was worried about heat. This is a fairly new system I've built, so I haven't run a lot of stuff on it yet, but I have been able to install programs, download, surf, etc. without any lock ups or hanging.

I installed Motherboard Monitor, SpeedFan, and MBProbe. They all report (about the same for each) abnormally high temps. At one point last night, it said my processor was 107C , but shouldn't the computer crash at that temp? The specs say that the CPU will fail at anything above 90C.

I was thinking the sensor on the MB might be bad. Any ideas? I really don't want to fry this chip!
    John5788
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok... I a freakin' idiot. I decided to pull the whole thing apart and make sure the heatsink was working. It was resting against a capacitor that kept it off the cpu just a bit. The fan still clamped to the socket, but...

I bent that cap over and put the HSF back on. Now I'm getting temps around 50C.

I cannot freakin' believe that CPU hasn't stopped working. I know I've put at least 6 hrs. on it with that HSF like that.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna go stand in the corner with my dunce hat now.
  11. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Glad you got that working. I am also very surprised you didn't fry the cpu long before. Guess its your lucky day.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  13. Shes dancing (obviously)
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

dont be surprised if ur chip dies soon though, that heat would have damaged the chip

microsofts butterfly is their way off telling u their systems have a **** load of buggs
    Advocating Linux Guide
    Lesbian Linux
    Great & Practical Computer Books

like the links?
  15. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Fire hazard hot.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo