1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

AMD XP 2000+ Cooling - gotta be wrong...

I bought a Gigabyte 3d Rocket cooler Pro about 2 days ago and i am pretty sure i am getting wrong temperature readouts. however, my sensors appear to be spot on.

at Idle my CPU is running ataround 41 degrees, which i think is fairly strange seeing as this thing is also compatable with the new AMD64's. The fan is running at its highest setting, with very little difference to whenb it is running at half the speed. also, since upgrading from my original fan that camewith my CPU in the first palce, games seem to crash to desktop almost every 5 mins, and when oi read out the temp it is either 45 or jsut dropped from that. with my old stock, it didnt start donig things liek that until it reached about 50

what do you guysthink i should do in order to improve the heat reduction? The reason i say it must be wrong, is my mate has an overclocked duron running at around 600Mhz faster than my chip, yet his runs at 35-39 degrees

any help would be most appreciated
  3. fifo

What are you using to get your temps? Download motherboard moniter 5 and see what temps they give you. Try using some quality thermal paste such as Arctic silver, this can make quite a difference compared to stock paste. Also has your computer got enough fans, in and out, moving air from front to back and bottom to top.
    Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Rizla
    What are you using to get your temps? Download motherboard moniter 5 and see what temps they give you. Try using some quality thermal paste such as Arctic silver, this can make quite a difference compared to stock paste. Also has your computer got enough fans, in and out, moving air from front to back and bottom to top.
    sorry, forgot to mention about that. currently i am jsut using stock paste, and i got my temps from the bios and by using AIDA32

currently there are no additional fans blowing air in or out. i jsut have the side of the case off. my main query is why my new fan is being out performed by a stock fan :S

I have tried MBM5 and i am getting pretty much the same readings.

also, i have recently heard that between the chip and the heatsink of an AMD processor there should be a sort of sheet to prevent direct contact with the CPU. is this true? if so, then i havent got that sheet
  7. fifo

The sheet you talk about is a thermal pad which can be used instead of thermal paste, although hey do not perform as well. You say the stock heatsink is colling better than the jet one? Thats not likely unless either the fan/heatsink is faulty (unlikely) or it's not sat correctly on the m/b. I would try swapping again and see what temps you get with the stock again. Then swap back checking that it's sat correctly. Failing that can you check the fan in another computer.
    Hope that helps
    Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi there
    I have the same cooler as you have on a PCI Express board
    and a intel P4 520. My CPU idles at 26C and max 49C at 2700RPM. I orginally used the intel cooler which came with the CPU so I just swapped the coolers without putting the paste on from gigabyte. The CPU ran a lot warmer this way hence the reason why I removed the old paste and put the gigabyte one on. This made quite an improvement. CPU is cool eventhough the case is very warm. I also would check if the cooler is properly mounted on the socket and that the red sticker has been removed (sorry but some people might forget to do that!)

Hope it helps
    Michel Erwich
  11. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by mr_erwich
    Hi there
    I have the same cooler as you have on a PCI Express board
    and a intel P4 520. My CPU idles at 26C and max 49C at 2700RPM. I orginally used the intel cooler which came with the CPU so I just swapped the coolers without putting the paste on from gigabyte. The CPU ran a lot warmer this way hence the reason why I removed the old paste and put the gigabyte one on. This made quite an improvement. CPU is cool eventhough the case is very warm. I also would check if the cooler is properly mounted on the socket and that the red sticker has been removed (sorry but some people might forget to do that!)

Hope it helps
    Michel Erwich
    sticker is defo moved (LMAO that some can MISS that )

also, i have used all of the gigabyte paste, which might be my problem. i heard that too much can INSAULATE the CPU, reversing the effect
  13. fifo

Maybe. You only need a tiny bit in the middle and the pressure should spread it about. I tend put a small amount in the middle and use a credit card to smear it about creating a thin layer

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo