1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A cool idea - freon/peltier (pun intended)

So far I've got a couple of parts and a draft on paper. You know the office water coolers - 5 gal jug on top. I called one of the dealers and asked if they had any that were damaged but the guts still worked? He say that they had several that were "no longer rectangular" \_\ and he would sell me a "working compressor" for $25. And from a web page that gave me the idea, here's my design: the compressor remounted in a smaller box, a 8in X 12in PVC pipe with end caps as the the storge tank. A pump to my CPU heat exchanger - 1/8" copper the size of my CPU with a 1" copper pipe cap attached. Think of a 10 gal cowboy hat. :-/ And that sits on a peltier chip that sits on my CPU. I figure total cost ... < $50 or not much over that. - Yes, I'll have to make sure no leaks, swetting, etc. Thoughts?

Cal
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

when you refrigerate the water going to your cpu it will sweat like a pig. for example, run a glass of tap water, let it set till it goes room temp if you are in a cold climate, the water will be cold. after room temp, it does not make the glass sweaty. if you drop a couple cubes of ice in the glass, here comes the sweat, your computer would have to be in a hermetically sealed room to run this system.basically in a vacuum with all the humidity removed.
  5. No Profile Picture

Actually, I had a similar idea, only different.

I was thinking about using a long heat-pipe on the CPU, and running that heatpipe outside the case. On the other end of the heatpipe would be a giant heatsink (basically covering the entire side of the computer case... large enough that you wouldn't need cooling fans) with cooling-liquid passages drilled through it.

This way, the CPU doesn't get too cold (if the temperature goes too low, the heatpipe cooling solution (heatpipes are sealed tubes with a liquid in them that easily evaporates at temperatures slightly above room temperature) no longer evaporates, slowing heat transfer until temperature comes back up). That way, you could run the refrigerator full-blast, and you wouldn't over-cool the CPU. The length of the heatpipe would allow you to move the coolest part of the setup outside the case, away from critical components (to prevent condensation damage).

Along the length of the heatpipe would be small fins to absorb additional heat from inside the case.

By doing this, you could seal the case up completely, reconfigure the power supply fans to suck air from inside the case and return it to inside the case (so your case is sealed and dust-free, as well as being extremely quiet).

Inside that giant heatsink sitting on the side of the computer case would be drilled passages that allow cooling liquid to be pumped through it, for additional cooling capacity, if needed. Even if the heatsink is cooled so much that it's dripping with condensation, it won't short-circuit any electronics, and it won't overcool the CPU.
    Last edited by HillsCap; October 18th, 2003 at 02:02 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

the strangest thing i ever seen that actually worked, guy took a refrigerator, with a frost free freezer made a rack to mount the mobo on, placed it in the center rack slot of the freezer, with the heatsink and fan still on it, used extension cables to go to a case where he had his cd drives and floppy, hard drives. he keeps the door of the freezer closed all the time to keep moisture out all together. he has a athlon xp 1500+ overclocked to 1.5 gig and it runs at 5 degrees C. he keeps beer in the lower half. he said now that he knows it works without problems he is going to use a bigger processor and use a better motherbard.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo