1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Arrow New to cooling, is this good?

Hello all,
    After I have read couple of threads in here, I learnt a lotfo things about CPU temprature (which I never cared to check).
    I have an ACER laptop with the following specs:

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2655 MHz (5 x 531)
    Motherboard Name ACER Aspire 1700
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 650
    System Memory 445 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (05/14/03)

Those info I got from the program Aida that I downloaded (thanks for whoever pointed that out in one of the threads)

Now the problem is the following. the tempreature as I am typing now (listening to mysic and some other back programs like Norton, msn) is 57-59 C . Is this normal?

The thing that fan is always working and rarely stops for like 5 minutes and works again. So any idea why this is happening? is there a way to cool it down because the fan is kinda noisy when it is working all the time!!

Alrighty,thanxa lot for your help in advance.
    Cheers
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Laptops are limited in their cooling because of their small size and cramped internals. Some chips, like the Pentium Ms and Athlon Mobiles are designed to use less power to counteract this.
    The temperatures for a chip like yours will be higher in a laptop than in a desktop because of the space constraints. If you keep it on your lap, that will bring up temperatures too, since your body will be warming the laptop.
    Keeping the laptop on a table can help, as can cooler ambient (room) temperatures. Overall though, there isn't much you can do. The fan will run often, to try to keep the temperature down. That is the way of most laptops, and there isn't really much you can change.
    HTH
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try a laptop docking station, those things really do cool down the laptop internals
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

also pump some compressed air through the fans. I had a friend who took enough dust out of his laptop to fill the can of air. (lots of dust). Hepled temps a lot.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo