1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Cooling small server room

I have a client with a server room that is 10ftx9ftx9ft (L x W x H). The room is getting up to around 80 degrees F and I'm trying to find a small portable AC unit they can utilize that won't cost too much money. There are 4 servers, a tape storage loader, and 3 switches in the room. The room itself has drop ceiling tile that leaves about 8 feet to the actual ceiling or roof (plenum area).

I was looking at something like the following or these.

Any suggestions on whether that would be good or bad?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If its for a proper business server room I would not use a stop measure like a portable AC. It will need to be running 24/7 for the life of the server room and as such a portable will just not hack it IMHO. I think you should try to find a cost effective real AC wall unit and pipe it to a cooler outside. This would be the minimum cooling I would use in a server room environment.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I know next-to-nothing when it comes to this sort of thing. Are there any units in particular you are referring to, or am I mistaken that it's even a unit to begin with? Any clarification or examples you can provide me with would be much appreciated.

APC has something like this, but it's still a portable unit so not necessarily what I should be looking for?
  7. No Profile Picture

The problem with that along with virtually all other portable AC units is it will need draining the water out of it regularly. I would suggest for a server room something like one of these:

http://www.airconco.com/wall-and-floor-mounted-units/

They are a lot more expensive and will need to be fitted by an aircon company (unless you can pipe the unit to the heat exchange which will need to be situated on an exterior wall of the building yourself) but they are specifically designed to run 24/7 and will not need anything doing to them once they are up and running.
    Portable AC just aren't designed to run 24/7 and without user intervention.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it. I assume even though we're talking about a relatively small space, the suggestion you provided is still appropriate because portable units, as you state, simply are not designed to run 24x7 correct?
  11. No Profile Picture

Yes, the portable unit will need its water tray emptied periodically, if it fills up it will simply turn itself off, not good if thats on a friday night so your servers are all crispy hot monday morning, it will guzzle leccy more than a real AC unit and at the end of the day it isn't designed to run 24/7 365 for 10 years without dying whereas a wall unit is.

Comments on this post

• seack79 agrees : Thanks for the help!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Cooling system is really necessary for server room. Computer exhaust hit out so server room atmosphere feel hot. So any proper ac is really necessary for cooling a server room.

Comments on this post

• ctardi disagrees : ...if you don't have anything to say...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo