Thread: Cooling my VGA

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cooling my VGA

Hi,
    My Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS is running at 144F is that normal?
    My CPU is at 130F
    My system slows down and sometimes it crashes, I thought it was a virus but none of my virus scanners detected anything.
    Any suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your temps are fine for that card. The 8800s naturally run hot, but if you do want to look for an aftermarket solution, Zalman makes pretty stout coolers and once you mix in some AS5 you will be good to go. However I have seen these cards peak at 100*C!

CPU is a bit on the warm side, but if it's an AMD(PI/PII) the temps are fine. Mine kicks around 60*C when I'm rendering which is with a third party cooler. Also depends where you're pulling your temps from and what mobo you're running. IIRC Asus boards read ~10C high and abit boards usually read a bit low. So unless you're running your own probe don't take the temps as 100%.

System slowing and hanging can be a multitude of issues to be honest and need more info pertaining to the system and when it hangs/errors. Also depends on the OS. If you're running Windows you could try something like CCleaner and they also make their own defrag utility. It could be a registry issue, fragmentation issue, or you could be running too many services and you're starting to page your drive. Hell it could be some bad RAM. Too many variables to accurately diagnose your symptoms, but I hope this gives you an area to look.
  5. No Profile Picture

THX for the info

I emailed various cooling sites and one particular site suggested the same brand you mentioned
    www.ultimatepccooling suggested zalman RHS88 Memory Heat Sink with Zalman VF1000 Copper Heat combatation and for the CPU they suggested cooljag because i have a small box
    Iím using speedfan utility to get the temperature
    Intel mother board DG33BU
    CPU Core2 2.4Ghz 4 GB ram and 64bit vista

Iím using speedfan utility to get the temperature
    Intel mother board DG33BU
    CPU Core2 2.4Ghz 4 GB ram and 64bit vista

i download CCleaner and has helped

thank you

Originally Posted by Cerberus2k7
    Your temps are fine for that card. The 8800s naturally run hot, but if you do want to look for an aftermarket solution, Zalman makes pretty stout coolers and once you mix in some AS5 you will be good to go. However I have seen these cards peak at 100*C!

CPU is a bit on the warm side, but if it's an AMD(PI/PII) the temps are fine. Mine kicks around 60*C when I'm rendering which is with a third party cooler. Also depends where you're pulling your temps from and what mobo you're running. IIRC Asus boards read ~10C high and abit boards usually read a bit low. So unless you're running your own probe don't take the temps as 100%.

System slowing and hanging can be a multitude of issues to be honest and need more info pertaining to the system and when it hangs/errors. Also depends on the OS. If you're running Windows you could try something like CCleaner and they also make their own defrag utility. It could be a registry issue, fragmentation issue, or you could be running too many services and you're starting to page your drive. Hell it could be some bad RAM. Too many variables to accurately diagnose your symptoms, but I hope this gives you an area to look.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo