1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU Fan NOT Working!

Hey all,

I just recently had my old CPU fan break down. It doesn't cool my CPU well enough for it to function(overheats often).

I went out to Best Buy and bought a new fan. My Processor is an AMD Socket A, and on the fan, it said it worked for AMD Socket As. Ok, great! I got a new fan! Problem solved!

NOT! I install it(it came with a heatsink too, of course) only to turn on my computer and have Windows start... Then the computer crashes! It started making these wierd noises, like (High beep, then a low beep) and it kept doing it until I pulled the plug from the back.

So I put the old, busted fan back in, and it starts up fine, but still overheats after 20 minutes or so, as well as making a nasty noise. So I realize it HAS to be the new fan. I put the new fan back in just to make sure I did it correctly, and it still shuts down and makes those beeps I mentioned earlier. So I take it out and put it in 2 more times to be ABSOLUTELY SURE.

So, it is definitely the NEW fan that is giving me trouble. I also put the heatsink + Fan in, and kept the fan UNPLUGGED and started my computer. Within 1 minute it shut down and did those beeps.

Could it possibly be the HEAT SINK? Or is it a fan error? The fan says "adaptec", Model: RDH6025B, and ACC-9500 at the top. I'm really getting frusterated at this point. I mean, to live with a busted CPU fan, then to get a new one that doesn't work is kind of irritating .

What would you guys suggest? Could I possibly be installing it wrong, FOUR times, yet not install my old fan incorrectly? Could the fan be faulty, and I just need to get a new one? Or something else?

Anyyyy help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Kison the n00bie |-|@rd\/\/@re /\/\@|\|
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it is defenantly a heat problem. You said both fans are making weird nouses. then that means that the fans are probably not running, it is very very very very bad on your system to be turning on a computer that doesn't have a working fan on the cpu. i wouldn't be surpised now if your system is fried.

Your best bet is to go to http://newegg.com/ and order a proper fan for your computer. Make sure that is rated to handle the spead of the sysstem you have. once it gets there you put eveyrthing in right, make sure you put the right amount of thermal grease, about the size of a piece of rice. then turn you system on, make sure the fan is running go into the bios and check the temps if it is less then 50 c then your are prefectly fine, hell even 55c you should be ok

also make sure that the fans are not running on the other 2 systems if they arn't then that is the problem, if they are then you probably put them on wrong and/or put to much thermal grease on.

good luck to ya
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey,

Sorry, I may have been unclear.

The problem with the old fan:

I will turn on the computer, and instantly, the FAN is making a noise, so badly that it vibrates my computer case. It will let the heat linger between 140-145 degrees F, and eventually will overheat(but I wouldn't let it get that high before turning it off)

The problem with the new fan:

It makes NO noise itself. The fan seems to work fine. I have not tested how well it cools the system, but it doesn't make any noises like it is busted, or vibrate against my computer case.

When it tries to start Windows, my entire system will shut off, and start making a sequence of system beeps, which some have told me is the computer running into a hardware problem. It ALWAYS happens when Windows is starting up, or when I have just turned the computer on.

That any clearer?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it seems to me that your heatsink/fan may not be cooling the cpu enough. You should probably check this. Also if your running that hot with an idle system then you have major problems. Are you oc? if so then turn the oc down and test it out.

I personaly think you just need to get a good heatsink/fan that is rated for your setup.

Also make sure your psu is running correctly and that your voltage isn't jumping like crazy everywhere.
  9. No Profile Picture

Not sure how to check to see if I'm overclocked, or if my PSU is giving me trouble. I'm not that great with hardware, I'll admit.

My PSU is brand new. I got it a month ago to replace a busted one I had. No, I haven't turned my system on for two days. I think it'd be best to NOT run it at THAT heat level.

Really, though, not sure WHAT HSF to get... You'd think ones they have in stores for my CPU would work, wouldn't you? :/
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am not sure, but i know that best buy doesn't hold very high quailty heatsink fans. What was it rated for? make sure that your cpu isn't over that rating, if it is then ya that could be a problem.

you can chekc your votaltage in your bios, uusally unser like system monitor or something like that
  13. No Profile Picture

Well, I put the new fan back in today, and turned it on and within 3 seconds the system shut off again. I turned it back on, and waited... It didn't go beyond 122 degrees F, which is better by 25 degrees than my old fan.

I do get some warnings...

Warning! CPU has been changed
    Please enter CPU Ratio CMOS Setup and REmember to Save Before Exit

Warning!! CPU Clock or Ratio are Programming fail Previously
    Please setup CPU Host Clock Again

so I went and fixed that... I saved, it restarted the system, and Bam! It crashes again giving that annoying beeping noise from inside the computer.

Other things on my BIOS:

CPU Fan: 5625 RMP
    Vio: 3.23 V
    Vcore: 1.77V
    Vdimm: 2.54V
    Vagp:1.53V
    Vbat:3.03V
    12V:11.85V
    5VSB:5.32V

CPU Real Clock: 1600 MHz, FSB 266
    Dram Clk: 266 MHz

Type: Pc2100
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+

So, not sure if any of that includes the voltage(seems to be a lot of that, heh), or if it even helps, but, looks like the fan is a PoS for some reason, yet it somehow manages to cool my CPU well enough...

Any suggestion on a specific HS and Fan for a 1600 MHz AMD Socket A?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

there is nothing wrong with the fan, something on your system isn't running stably. It could be mobo or ram. I am not sure. A fan wont case that to happen and the fan is running right. I missed understood what you said your first posts

It also may be that your cpu is burned up. from the fan making that bad noise i think was because the fan was bad. So that would have let the cpu over heat. I know it says that there is a protection on the cpu to not let it burn up like that but those things can burn sometimes even before they hit there limit.

The best you can do no is to start testing parts, i dont' know if you have any other comptuer you can put your cpu into and test it on or any places for your ram or anything else. But you are going to have to go through the process of eleminaion to find the bad seed in the bunch. you also may want to try to test that psu, the reading seem fine but i don't know how it runs under load.
  17. No Profile Picture

Yeah, but this is what is dumb... It seems like the FAN is causing it yet at the same time it looks like the fan is good.

See, when I put the fan that DOES NOT work, the OLD fan in, the one that definitely lets it overheat after a period of time, it will let my system start WITHOUT ERROR, without problems. But it will overheat after time.

When I put the NEW fan in, it sometimes shuts off when starting up, but ALWAYS shuts off as Windows starts up. How would a bad part only crash when the new HSF gets put in but not the bad one?

Maybe something just funky is with the new fan?

Edit: To clarify, the noise that the new fan makes and the old one makes are completely different.

The new fan makes no noise itself. It is a noise the motherboard makes, like it is not liking a piece of hardware, and it starts beeping only when it crashes.

The old fan made the noise itself, like one of the parts was busted and it was smashing against something.

Anyway, a friend of mine might be taking a look at it. If we manage to fix it I'll let you know just for the sake of curiosity.
  19. No Profile Picture

Get this.

The heatsink was putting too much pressure on the CPU, or, at least, we think that was the problem. I switched the new fan onto the old heatsink, and there was 0 problem. In fact, the temperature is down to 95 degrees F.

Thanks for the help and ideas, just glad it's fixed.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow thats pretty odd, i have never head of that happening. Well im glad to hear it is fixed. Good Job.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo