1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU fan alternate power

Something is wrong with the CPU fan on one of my computers because when I start up Windows XP it says "can't detect CPU fan" (it is a ~5 year old Dell Dimension PC) and I can hear that the fan is not doing anything. But, if I connect this fan to another computer it works fine. I assume something is wrong with the motherboard. Now, I heard something once that it is sometimes possible to plug your CPU fan directly into the PSU, but this doesn't seem very likely for this old Dell (it doesn't help that the case is a cluttered wire mess around the PSU area). So basically, I am wondering if it would be possible to get a cheap external source for power and somehow just plug it into that instead of having to junk this computer.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by qweasdzxc
    Something is wrong with the CPU fan on one of my computers because when I start up Windows XP it says "can't detect CPU fan" (it is a ~5 year old Dell Dimension PC) and I can hear that the fan is not doing anything. But, if I connect this fan to another computer it works fine. I assume something is wrong with the motherboard. Now, I heard something once that it is sometimes possible to plug your CPU fan directly into the PSU, but this doesn't seem very likely for this old Dell (it doesn't help that the case is a cluttered wire mess around the PSU area). So basically, I am wondering if it would be possible to get a cheap external source for power and somehow just plug it into that instead of having to junk this computer.
    Some motherboards have more than 1 MB fan connector but do not connect them all. You could try thst, failing that at the other extreme you can wire the fan (without speed control or MB feedback) to the PSU usually via a free HDD connector.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo