1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question what Cpu fan and heatsink would your recommend?

I am currently running a AMD XP 2600+ "Barton". I am running it with the stock heatsink and fan, but I am looking to overclock. Right now my cpu you runs about 52 c at full load. I know this does not give me alot of head room. What replacemnt Heatsink and Fan would you guys suggest?
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I always recommend the Zalman CNPS7000a-Cu. One of the best air-cooled heatsinks available. Thermalright is good too. Basically, you want something all copper, and as big as possible for max heat dissapation and low noise. Be sure to spring for some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste as well, rather than just using the stuff that comes with the heatsink, its good for an extra 1-2C.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. This is only a test

I second karsh44 -- I just picked up one of those Zalman's, and it's pretty nice. Dropped me from 52-56 to 44-47 OC'd. It's big and heavy, though -- be sure to check your motherboard with their site's compatability chart.
    "Not to offend our Swedish listeners ... if we have any, that isó"
    "óBut your team's rubbish."
    (Sun webcast, Sweden vs. Paraguay)

Who needs corporate radio?
    WeFunkRadio.com | Global Pop Conspiracy | Radio Paradise | SomaFM | The Classic Soul Network | Boot Liquor | WFMU Freeform Radio
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i reccomend the thermal take volcan +7. i use it on a 2400+ and it brought me down from 52c at load to 37c. it even has a switch for fanspeed and a nice big copper heatsink

and yeah definately get good thermal paste.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

go to 1coolpc.com and see what they have. There are 3 ways to set the fan speeds: 1. Always full speed. 2. a controller knob you mount front or back of your case. 3. a thermostat controlled that uses a sensor you put between the cpu and the mobo.

I think any high quality heatsink/fan will do the job. Kinda like Ford vs Chevy vs .... They're all about the same but some people are very loyal to one brand.
  11. No Profile Picture

Update: any opinions on this setup?

I have been looking around the internet after I got your suggestions. One setup up that seems interesting to me is the Thermaltake SILENT BOOST, does anybody have an opinion on this? I also looked at the Volcano 7 and 12, but there weight and how they connect (only using one clip instead of three) concerns me. Especially the warnings about not moving the computer due to the weight of those setups.
  13. Just another guy

I found this review of the Silent Boost. I wasn't very impressed, really. I'm sticking with my Zalman recommendation, with Thermal Right as another great option. Both should cool better than the Silent Boost and at least as quietly.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Mad_Irishman
    I have been looking around the internet after I got your suggestions. One setup up that seems interesting to me is the Thermaltake SILENT BOOST, does anybody have an opinion on this? I also looked at the Volcano 7 and 12, but there weight and how they connect (only using one clip instead of three) concerns me. Especially the warnings about not moving the computer due to the weight of those setups.

i move mine all the time.i even almost tripped while holding it.still worked fine.till i upgraded my stupid mobo and it started being gay

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo