Thread: CPU fan quit

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU fan quit

Hey everyone. I have a Zalman CNPS9700 cooler on my AMD Phenom 9950 CPU. It is not OC'd.

I noticed the other day the the fan is not running in it. It has a fan speed control box mounted on the outside of my case that must be the problem. The CPU fan will run off another power connector, just not through the wiring to and from the speed control. Another fan did work in the CPU fan plug while testing. So everything seems to work as long as it's not going through the speed control first.

The temps right now are 104 degrees F at idle, and 140 degrees F max under load. These temps are not too bad are they? The heatsink of the fan itself is so huge it seems to keep it fairly well cooled.

When i run the ICool Gigabyte program it tells me my my power usage is 100% and my fan noise is 100%, when my fan is not running at all. Don't know why that is? I'm guessing something is grounded in the speed controller.

First off i just want to know if those temps are good, then i guess i have to see if i can get the CPU fan running off the CPU plug on the mobo and get the speed controlled through ICool or some other automaticlly controlled way. I just don't want it running full speed from the mobo plug. Too noisey and it doesn't need much speed at all, if any.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

104 at idle is fine, but 140 under load is hitting the max temp for that CPU. Does it ever go over that temp? I wonder if it is smart enough to realize it is hot and is slowing down the clock speed.

If the fan is too noisy why not just buy a quieter fan? Typically I prefer to be on the safe side for cooling CPUs, if it was me, I would just hook the fan to the mobo plug.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo