1. Wang
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU Running really hot

This could probably have gone in the hardware section, but since it mainly has to do with cooling I'm putting it here.

I just got a new P4 3.2 proc (LGA 775). And a new motherboard (Asus p5p800). I installed everything, had to get a new power supply and a new fan/heatsinc since my old heatsinc wouldn't work with the Socket T (775).

Anyways, I got it up and running. Started installing Win XP Pro on a maxtor 80gb hdd. It went through the formatting, formatted fine, and rebooted. The initial setup/formatting took about an hour, give or take. Once it rebooted it started going through the second phase of the install. After about 10-20 mins, the computer shut off. It just shut off.

So I figured the CPU was overheating. I turned it back on the next day and wen into the BIOS and saw that (without the case being closed) it was running at 85C. Which is hot. And that was just in the BIOS, I wasn't even doing anything. The fan was working and everything.

The inside of my case is all metal, so I'm guessing it gets to be like a freaking oven in there. And I have no fan on the back pulling the air out of the case...but would that fan REALLY get my temp down to an acceptable range?

What are some of my options to get the CPU down to a good rate? When I put the fan/heatsinc on I didn't put any new Thermal Compound on (I just left the stuff that came with the fan, it was a white paste sort of)...so maybe I should put some arctic silver 5 on there? Would that help?

I also haven't put the latest BIOS on there, which I'm doing tonight. But I doubt that would make much diff with the temp.

Thanks for any replies.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
  3. Wang

I took off the default TC, and replaced it with AS5. Then I put in a 90mm (60+cfm) fan as the exaust fan.

Now my CPU idles at 42C, w00t! I once I install the OS and everything I'll check how it runs at full load. But 42C is whole lot better than 85C :-P

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The paste always needs to be replaced. The fan may help somewhat. Possibly reseating the heat sink while changing the paste helped too.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Iron_Cross:

Is your box a 1U? I'm having a similair problem. I have a P4 3.2 Ghz and with the case open, I'm running at about 78C. With the case closed, I'm up to about 85C. All that in BIOS. I just got a top of the line fan, and used AS5, still running extremely hot. Any other suggestions?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes reapply (or apply) the thermal glue onto the heatsink between it and the processor. Make sure the heatsink is on the right way and that it is flush with the processor and socket. If a heatsink is placed wrong, the heat won't transfer properly between the sink and the processor.
  11. www.devhardware.com/forums

Clean the surface of heatsink with alcohol before reapplying the thermal glue. Cleaning the components is as important as cleaning your own body.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Other than your CPU fan is there any other type of fans inside your chassis?
  15. www.devhardware.com/forums

Weren't you asking questions about your own heating problem?
    Or are you also trying to help the original questioner?!
    I am really now!!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

He is trying to help solve the problem, so rather than bug him about if he has asked the same question in the past, let's all just try and see what is going on.

Iron_Cross, are you positive that your processor fag is plugged in, and functioning properly?
  19. www.devhardware.com/forums

I asked that because in one of the posts above, he asked about him having the same heating issues despite getting top notch fans and glues. But I agree with you on helping whoever needs it.

And again, it seems Iron Cross is happy with his temperatures now.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry for the confusion. Iron Cross has corrected his problem, so my questions were directed towards him, as I'm having a similar problem. I don't know what else to do, I called Intel and they said they couldn't help me unless I had a "Thermally Advantaged" chassis.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese.../eng/53211.htm

All of their recommended chassis are towers or slim line towers. Does Intel not approve their P4's in rackmount boxes? I've clean and recleaned the processor, tried applying various amounts of AS5 (from barely any to a bunch). As soon as I put that lid on, I'm up to 85C. Any last ditch suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture of my box.
    Attached Images

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo