1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU Temp Question

I got a P4 3.0 GHZ WITH HT CPU. What should the average temp be ?? Right now im not doing anything on the PC but typing this, all backround programs are off and its at 55 Celcius. When I play a game it goes up to 70-91 is that normal ?
  3. Warning: I can't read

thats too high. Did you build this PC?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Godlike User

Theres something gone seriously wrong there, mmmm fried processor...tasty
  7. No Profile Picture

i am having the same problem

i just built my pc, prescott 3 ghz, no OS yet. in the BIOS, it says my cpu is 56-57 degrees. Case is open, im using the HS and cpu fan which came with the cpu. Have one 12x12 sys fan on the outside of the case blowing in. Whats goin on?????
  9. au courant

Be sure that if you've built it you've applied adequate thermal grease or lubricant between your processor and heatsink.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi Markn12

What software are you using to monitor while playing game???

Jimliner
  13. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb

Hi Mark,
    I have similar problem in my system too. But It doesn't raise above 72 degrees.
    I have P4 3.0 GHz with 512 RAM on Intel 915GV Board. I had a severe problem initailly, because my cabinet's fan wan't fitted. After fitting a single cabinet fan, I can work with my case closed. Normal working conditions other than use of severe graphics, my Intel's active desktop temperature monitor shows, Zone 1 temp as around 43 degrees, Zone 2 around the same and CPU temp as around 60 degrees. But if I play some game, My CPU temperature raises occassionally to 70 degrees. If I set the warning limit as 72 degrees, I can play games without any interruption due to warning.
    I would advice you to use this software if you are using an intel board, which supports this kind of software.
    Also check that the fans are working in the right directions - ie not all blowing inwards. If all your fans are blowing out wards, check that you have vents in the cabinet for the air intake. A vent directly in line with the cpu fan also may help. If any others have any contradictions to these, please feel free to correct it.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ramkumar_kr
    Hi Mark,
    I have similar problem in my system too. But It doesn't raise above 72 degrees.
    I have P4 3.0 GHz with 512 RAM on Intel 915GV Board. I had a severe problem initailly, because my cabinet's fan wan't fitted. After fitting a single cabinet fan, my Intel's active desktop temperature monitor shows, Zone 1 temp as around 43 degrees, Zone 2 around the same and CPU temp as around 60 degrees. But if I play some game, My CPU temperature raises occassionally to 70 degrees. If I set the warning limit as 72 degrees, I can play games without any interruption due to warning.
    Simple Question on this, I believe you are talking in Celcius,correct? If so, Then my P4 3.2 in a asus p4p800 running at 50 degrees Cel would not be that bad?

I am terrified, This is the first system I built, and have already had to send the motherboard back to ASUS, because my bios update was not installed correctly.

This week I started up computer there was a white screen,have been to nervous to have the compter on for more then a couple of minutes.

Thanks,
    Bryan
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Prescotts run incredibly hot for some reason, it is natural for them to run at 60 degrees+, although 70+ is pushing it. I have an AMD Athlon 64 that runs at 45 degrees C max at 100% load (Tested using folding@home for 2 hours). To cool it down abit all I could suggest is to underclock it abit, down 100 maybe 200Mhz, but that kinda defeats the point of having a 3Ghz processor!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your computer runs at 50 to 60 C then you dont really have to worry. If you have a problem with it running higher then make sure the heatsink is not up on the edge of the thing that holds the heatsink on. Also you may want to use one of the heatsinks with piped technology. They work very well. I use on on my P4 and I never leave the 40's. Intel temp rateing are very high so even if u reach 75 you should be ok but don't let it run that high to long. You can go to Intel's web site and get temp. specs for your exact processor.
  21. No Profile Picture

Cpu Heat

Originally Posted by Markn12
    I got a P4 3.0 GHZ WITH HT CPU. What should the average temp be ?? Right now im not doing anything on the PC but typing this, all backround programs are off and its at 55 Celcius. When I play a game it goes up to 70-91 is that normal ?

i have a P4 3.0ghz cpu with HT and i have it overclocked with the stock fan and i am running 3.46GHZ 920FSB and under load and lots of graphics i NEVER go over 45 degrees celcius, right now i am sitting at 38 degrees celcius, i think you guys may have some problems?? i have 8 case fans, 4 blowing in, 4 blowing out.
    Last edited by SimonGreenhill; June 23rd, 2005 at 08:52 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Hi Kool..

those 4+4 might be doing the trick . I have only one cabinet fan, which is blowing out. Also there is the normal CPU fan. Let me try adding fans..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo